One of my favorite snacks from my childhood, this Crispy Eggless “French Toast” is wonderfully vegan.
Although I call it a “French Toast,” it doesn’t have anything in common with the original dish other than the method of preparation and the fact that the chief ingredient is bread. In this version, herbs and spices perfectly compliment the crunchy chickpea flour coating.
My parents would deep-fry the toast, but I am not a huge fan of deep-frying for assorted reasons. So instead I shallow-fried the toast in just about a tablespoon of canola oil. The results were just as good, and you get the yummy, golden crunch without the calories.
They also used white bread- the only kind of sliced bread you found in India in those days. I used whole-wheat for healthier results. I do concede, though, that using white, thin-slice bread might result in an even crispier toast.
This snack, served with some plain ketchup, is perfect with a hot cup of Indian masala chai. Mmmm…bliss.Crispy Eggless “French Toast”
Savory Eggless French Toast
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Snack
- 3 slices of whole-wheat bread, each slice cut into half
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, powdered
- 1 tbsp coriander or parsley, chopped fine
- Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients other than the bread and use some water to make a thick, pancakey batter.
- In a non-stick or cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tbsp canola oil.
- Dip each bread half into the batter and coat thoroughly on both sides. Place the slices in a single layer in the skillet (Based on the size of your skillet, you might have to do this in batches).
- Cook until the underside is golden-brown, then flip over and cook the other side.
(C) All recipes and photographs copyright of Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes.