Oven-baked Rosemary-Pepper French Fries

I have a very simple but absolutely delicious recipe to share with you today- these gorgeously crispy and healthy Oven-baked Rosemary-Pepper French Fries.

But first, this: two of my favorite bloggers have honored me with the Nice Matters Award- the delightful Arundati of Escapades and the talented Priya of 365 Days of Pure Vegetarian. Since both are bloggers I admire, I am truly touched. Thanks, girls, for being so nice.
Arundati also tagged me for a meme about seven weird things about myself, and I must admit that at the beginning, I was a little flummoxed. I am certainly no straitlaced sweetheart, but on the other hand I live a pretty humdrum life. Weird people, on the other hand, are exciting, strange, fascinating. In fact, I’ve always secretly longed to be an eccentric.

But then I sat down at my computer, put on my thinking gloves and got in touch with my inner weird. Once I’d started, it was hard to stop at seven. In fact, I even had to get rid of a couple!

So here they are, if you care, seven little weird tidbits about myself. And if you don’t find them weird enough, all I can say is, you are weirder than I am! :)

I refuse to wake up in the morning unless my dog Opie has licked my whole face at least once.

I hate Bollywood movies. Now I know that statement is going to make some people mad, but since it appears in this meme, I am acknowledging that it is a weird thing for someone born and raised in India. After all, Bollywood flows thicker than blood in Indian veins. But while I love a bit of brainless entertainment every once in a while, bad actors dancing like robots and carrying on in a hyper-emotional state is not my cup of chai. Sorry!

Here’s a food one: my favorite veggie as a kid was ladies’ fingers, or okra. Yeah, that slimy green one. And each time I went to a restaurant, I’d order french fries for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert!

Another food one- I can guzzle peanut butter by the jar, but I absolutely cannot stand to eat peanut butter cookies or candy. I don’t even like it on bread.

I love traveling, but I hate to travel alone- something I do all the time for work.

I get really, really jealous when my cat, Pubm, chooses to sit in Desi’s lap instead of mine. Horribly, I-will-gouge-out-your-eyes jealous. He’d better watch out!

I detest shopping – for anything. If I had a single wish, it would be to never again enter a store. Ever.

Okay, now that you’ve been entertained/bored by my weirdness, here’s the recipe for those great french fries. I’m sure you won’t be able to stop making- and eating- them over and over!

This recipe is my entry to the Ode to Potato event hosted by Sia.

Oven-baked Rosemary-Pepper French Fries

Ingredients:2 large potatoes, cut into long strips as for fries, and washed a couple of times in cold water. Pat them thoroughly dry.

1 tbsp black peppercorns

1 tsp dried rosemary

1 tbsp olive oil

Sea salt to taste

Put the potatoes in a baking sheet large enough so you can spread them in a single layer.

Powder the peppercorns and rosemary together with a mortar and pestle or, less preferably, in a spice grinder.

Sprinkle the pepper-rosemary mixture and olive oil on the potatoes and mix thoroughly.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven about 35-40 minutes, stirring once or twice during baking to ensure all sides turn evenly golden-brown.

Sprinkle with a little sea salt before serving.

Comments

1. says

I love your weirdness. made me laugh :-)

and I love the idea of oven-baking french fries. I can’t digest fried foods too well but love french fries, so I just have to try these.

2. says

Good to know about you! that was a good meme. And the french fried making me grab from the pic. I am a fan of french fries too. thanks for the recipe.

3. says

hey Viashali! those fries look awesome! baked foods are so much better:)

btw, I’m hosting WBB-Balanced Breakfasts this month and it’d be great if you could participate! event details on my blog:)

4. says

Dhivya, thanks!

Vegeyum, Cumin and black pepper sounds delicious. I will try those next time. Thanks!

Trupti, these are very healthy and I hope your son enjoys them.

Anke, Thanks. I did feel quite weird writing those!

Uma, thanks! Hope you have a chance to try them.

Chocolatecoveredvegan, thanks! My mom made a lovely okra recipe where she managed to make all that sliminess disappear. It was to die for!

Misty, Ramya, Thanks!

Mansi, thanks for letting me know. I will definitely participate- sounds like a great theme and I am really excited!

5. says

I used to shop ’til I dropped, but gave it up some years ago — except for groceries and kitchen items. I love lingering over produce and ramekins. : )

Love french fries, too. These are beauties, Vaishali, crisp and flavorful.

6. says

Thanks, Susan. I too loved to shop once- and I must confess I still enjoy going to the thrift store occasionally. Nothing like finding a great bargain!

Happy Cook, you’re right! It certainly beats standing in front of a pot of boiling oil!

7. says

ooooooooo oven baked french fries…what could be better than making your favourite food healthier!! thanks for all those lovely words of praise…but you did deserve the nice award my girl…. loved the meme…am glad i tagged you….i can imagine odie licking you all over the face!! i used to do that with my dogs…especially put on a special showing for dog averse friends/relatives and guests!!

8. says

I tried this today! It turned out to be a semi-success. :) I did it with cherie potatoes (‘cos couldn’t get hold of another variety), and kept the skins on. Also used fresh rosemary because I didn’t have it dried. The potatoes turned out to be crisp (like chips) rather than the meaty french fries one usually gets. Secondly, the rosemary added a bitter flavor. Can you suggest another dried herb? Also, I remember my mom saying that after drying the potatoes, she keeps them for a while in atta (wholewheat flour) for it to absorb any remaining moisture. So will try that next time! :)
    Thanks for this recipe. I enjoyed the potatoes eventually with some cajun spice mix.

• says

Hi Deepti, if you want the french fries to be meatier, just cut the chips thicker. If I remember right, I almost julienned them in this recipe because I wanted them super crisp. And any dry herb would be fabulous here– use thyme or oregano or sage. They all go well with potatoes.
      That’s an interesting observation from your mom. Sounds like a good idea, but wouldn’t the potatoes get covered in atta? On second thoughts, that might not be so bad– it’d help give the fries a floury, crispy coating. :)