One Hot Stove’s Laadi Pav

Bread-making can be a little difficult to fit into your average day. While putting the ingredients together and the kneading are easy enough, the rising and the waiting can throw even your best dinner plans off-track if you weren’t paying very close attention.

When I do get a chance, though, usually on weekends, I can’t wait to get some warm, homemade bread going. This past weekend, I decided to try out a recipe I saw a while ago on one of my favorite blogs, One Hot Stove, and which I had been pining to make ever since: Laadi Pav.

Growing up in Bombay, I have great memories of buying fresh laadi pav from the bakery. In Goa, where my Dad now lives, the pav-wallah still comes around every morning tooting his bicycle horn, a large basket of fresh, warm pav balanced on the back. There’s nothing more delightful than tearing into a piece of this amazing bread and dipping it into a warm, spicy curry.

Nupur’s Laadi Pav tasted great, had a beautiful, flaky texture, and what’s more, it called for just two rather than the three rises that many breads need, so even though I started only in the afternoon, it was ready well in time for dinner.

I followed Nupur’s directions to the letter, except that I used transfat-free shortening in place of the tiny amount of butter that the recipe called for.

I thought this simple recipe would be a great one to send to the MBP Less is More event being hosted this month by, well, Nupur!

Thanks very much, Nupur, for an amazing treat.

17 thoughts on “One Hot Stove’s Laadi Pav

notyet100

July 23, 2008 at 4:01pm

wish i could bake,..looks amzin,..good one for the event.:)

Nupur

July 23, 2008 at 4:14pm

Fresh pav brings back such wonderful memories, doesn’t it? Thank you for trying the recipe, and for the entry, Vaishali.
    Off-topic: I just noticed your new profile picture, and I must say you are just gorgeous!

Cham

July 23, 2008 at 6:00pm

Bread making will test our patience! Lovely entry :)

Bharti

July 23, 2008 at 6:34pm

hello…first time at your blog. The pav looks delicious. I guess it’s one more on my list to try from Nupur’s blog!

Uma

July 23, 2008 at 6:42pm

Pav looks so delicious Vaishali! Nice recipe.

Lavi

July 23, 2008 at 6:54pm

Pav have turned out so perfect vaishali..and you look sweet in ur profile pic…..

Madhavi

July 23, 2008 at 8:13pm

Great entry Vaishali, pav looks perfect and yummy!!!

Meera

July 23, 2008 at 8:22pm

Fond memories are associated with Pav. You know, until very recently pavwala used to come tooting his bicycle in Mumbai too…I don’t know if he still does. You know, there were so many bakeries where I grew up. That pav aroma makes me very nostalgic.

Nithu

July 23, 2008 at 8:36pm

I didn’t have a chance of getting pav from where i grew. After you said that you get it from the cyclewala from your place, I wish I too had the chance to get it. Now after seeing your Pav, I definitely want to try it.

Rachel

July 24, 2008 at 4:16am

Wow..the end result is amazing..

I used to live in Goa for a couple of years…and there was this makeshift-bakery in the next plot..and it was wonderful to wake up every morning to that lovely smell of freshly baked paavs…a thing I miss now!!!

ranji

July 24, 2008 at 1:11pm

laadi pav looks yum…never ate it b4..looks like a must try :)

Dee

July 24, 2008 at 3:50pm

Vaishali, I like the new look and the profile pic is really clear. You look gorgeous. I had made nupur’s ladi pav a couple of weeks ago..and It was awesome..

Bhawana

July 24, 2008 at 4:41pm

laadi pav looks good vaishali :). very tempting.

July 24, 2008 at 7:42pm

Notyet100, Thanks. These are pretty easy even for a beginner, so you might want to try your hand at making them!

Nupur, It sure does. Thanks for the recipe which I’ll be making again and again. Also thanks for the compliment–you’re kind, but I don’t think I deserve it. Btw, you have a great profile picture too :)

Cham, Thanks.

Bharti, Welcome and thanks. I hope you will try it.

Uma, Lavi, Madhavi, Thanks.

Meera, you are so right. That pav aroma sure is intoxicating.

Nithu, I do hope you try it. It is a pretty straightforward and I daresay easy recipe.

Rachel, Lucky you for getting a chance to live in Goa for two years. It is such a gorgeous place. I had lots of the pav when I visited my dad recently, but do miss it, so it was great finding this recipe.

Sireesha, Ranji, Thanks, ladies

Dee, Thanks, dear. The pav is certainly awesome, and this recipe’s a keeper.

Bhawana, Thanks!

Katie

July 25, 2008 at 2:58am

Yum…that looks great. I love your blog!