One Hot Stove’s Laadi Pav

Bread-making can be a little difficult to fit into your average day. While putting the ingredients together and the kneading are easy enough, the rising and the waiting can throw even your best dinner plans off-track if you weren’t paying very close attention.

When I do get a chance, though, usually on weekends, I can’t wait to get some warm, homemade bread going. This past weekend, I decided to try out a recipe I saw a while ago on one of my favorite blogs, One Hot Stove, and which I had been pining to make ever since: Laadi Pav.

Growing up in Bombay, I have great memories of buying fresh laadi pav from the bakery. In Goa, where my Dad now lives, the pav-wallah still comes around every morning tooting his bicycle horn, a large basket of fresh, warm pav balanced on the back. There’s nothing more delightful than tearing into a piece of this amazing bread and dipping it into a warm, spicy curry.

Nupur’s Laadi Pav tasted great, had a beautiful, flaky texture, and what’s more, it called for just two rather than the three rises that many breads need, so even though I started only in the afternoon, it was ready well in time for dinner.

I followed Nupur’s directions to the letter, except that I used transfat-free shortening in place of the tiny amount of butter that the recipe called for.

I thought this simple recipe would be a great one to send to the MBP Less is More event being hosted this month by, well, Nupur!

Thanks very much, Nupur, for an amazing treat.

Comments

1. says

Fresh pav brings back such wonderful memories, doesn’t it? Thank you for trying the recipe, and for the entry, Vaishali.
    Off-topic: I just noticed your new profile picture, and I must say you are just gorgeous!

2. says

Fond memories are associated with Pav. You know, until very recently pavwala used to come tooting his bicycle in Mumbai too…I don’t know if he still does. You know, there were so many bakeries where I grew up. That pav aroma makes me very nostalgic.

3. says

I didn’t have a chance of getting pav from where i grew. After you said that you get it from the cyclewala from your place, I wish I too had the chance to get it. Now after seeing your Pav, I definitely want to try it.

4. says

Wow..the end result is amazing..

I used to live in Goa for a couple of years…and there was this makeshift-bakery in the next plot..and it was wonderful to wake up every morning to that lovely smell of freshly baked paavs…a thing I miss now!!!

5. says

Vaishali, I like the new look and the profile pic is really clear. You look gorgeous. I had made nupur’s ladi pav a couple of weeks ago..and It was awesome..

6. says

Notyet100, Thanks. These are pretty easy even for a beginner, so you might want to try your hand at making them!

Nupur, It sure does. Thanks for the recipe which I’ll be making again and again. Also thanks for the compliment–you’re kind, but I don’t think I deserve it. Btw, you have a great profile picture too :)

Cham, Thanks.

Bharti, Welcome and thanks. I hope you will try it.

Uma, Lavi, Madhavi, Thanks.

Meera, you are so right. That pav aroma sure is intoxicating.

Nithu, I do hope you try it. It is a pretty straightforward and I daresay easy recipe.

Rachel, Lucky you for getting a chance to live in Goa for two years. It is such a gorgeous place. I had lots of the pav when I visited my dad recently, but do miss it, so it was great finding this recipe.

Sireesha, Ranji, Thanks, ladies

Dee, Thanks, dear. The pav is certainly awesome, and this recipe’s a keeper.

Bhawana, Thanks!