Chocolate Chip Cookies

The great news about being vegan is, you don’t have to give up the most wonderful food ever available to mankind: chocolate.

Vegan chocolate is easily available, and truth be told, it is no different– in any way– from regular chocolate that has dairy products in it. One of my favorite bedtime treats is a tablespoon of Ghirardelli’s White Mocha Hot Chocolate stirred into a cup of soymilk. Heaven AND vegan. And there are many, many varieties of vegan candy and vegan chocolate chips to be found at stores like Whole Foods.

Whole Foods and Ghirardelli also both make vegan chocolate chips for baking. To make the Chocolate Chip Cookies I am sharing today, I used Whole Foods’ 365 Days brand of unsweetened dark chocolate chips. Not only are these chips delicious, they’re really pretty in these cute little rectangular shapes they come in.

I just got back from a hectic work trip to Boston (which is why I’ve not been posting) but the minute I got home today I rolled up my sleeves and baked these cookies because I just couldn’t leave these chocolate chips uneaten any longer.

The cookies have a lot going, texture-wise. The powdered rolled oats give them a wonderfully chewy texture. The chocolate chips give a silkily gooey mouth-feel. And the walnuts add a rich crunch.

I truly enjoyed making and eating these marvelous cookies. Hope you do too!

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mix in a bowl:

1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour

3/4 tsp baking powder

1 1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together until well mixed:

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup canola oil

1 tbsp molasses

1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water, beaten together

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 tbsp almond milk (can use soy milk)

Add the flour and beat in until smooth.

Now add:

1 1/3 cups rolled oats, ground to a powder

1 cup walnuts, toasted lightly, then chopped

1 cup vegan unsweetened dark chocolate chips

On a greased cookie sheet, drop large balls of the cookie dough, about 2 inches apart.

Bake in a 375-degree oven for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are lightly brown. They will still be soft in the center.

Keep the cookie sheet on a rack for a few minutes. Then remove the cookies from the baking sheet and transfer to the rack to cool completely. They will firm up as they cool.

Dig in!

***
One of Opie’s favorite pastimes is to sit in the front yard and look for squirrels scurrying around the oak and maple trees on our street. He then barks at them to call them…to play? I have no idea, but he does look adorable doing it.

***
And finally here are some wonderful critters having a great time with our flowers. Have a nice weekend, everyone!

18 thoughts on “Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cham

September 20, 2008 at 4:05am

I don’t know if Opie or choco chip cookie re adorable? He is really having fun with the squirel :)

Divya

September 20, 2008 at 4:25am

Opie! What a cute name for a cute dog. I love anything chocolate, do you think I could lower the fat in the cookie? It wouldn’t result in the same texture… but wondering how much of a compromise that would be.
    Baking a batch of cookies right after a trip is pretty motivating!

notyet100

September 20, 2008 at 8:32am

cookies look so yum,…nd lovely pics,..hppy weekend,..

September 20, 2008 at 1:23pm

Cham: I’d vote for Opie. He really is super-adorable! :)

Divya: I guess you could lower the fat, although one of the things about this cookie is that the dough is quite loose which makes it easier for them to spread in the oven. Maybe you could halve the oil and replace the rest with a couple of tablespoons of flax mixed with 6 tbsp water…this is not something I’ve tried, but I daresay it might work! Remember to grease your hands when you roll the cookie dough into balls because it will be sticky.

Srivali, Notyet100, Happycook: Thanks, ladies.

Divya Vikram

September 20, 2008 at 5:33pm

lovely pics..I should try using soy milk in cookies..Great idea

Usha

September 20, 2008 at 10:21pm

Cookies look awesome and your dog looks adorable…one quick question though…are the vegan chocolate chips lower in calories than the regular ones…have never tried any vegan chocolate…

Maggie

September 20, 2008 at 11:40pm

Opie is adorable! Is he part chow?

I love trying new chocolate chip cookie recipes and these sound delicious. I’ll give them a try soon.

seitanismymotor

September 21, 2008 at 11:41am

I can imagine how much you enjoyed baking and eating these. They look absolutely delicious!

Sunshinemom

September 21, 2008 at 1:59pm

Great for you:) I have given up chocolate pudding which I love, milk bars I loved all because I can’t find most things!! This is the biggest sacrifice I have made!!! I have been requesting and making suggestions at the Godrej and Spinach outlets here for vegan chocolates and am always dithering on that thin line which took me from veg to vegan:(

Hope it comes here soon!

Uma

September 22, 2008 at 3:50am

As you said, Opie is number one! Of course, I love your ccc tooo! Adorable (Opie) vs. Delicious (CCC).

Susan

September 22, 2008 at 12:27pm

Your cookies look like they have a nice, crispy crunch to them, Vaishali.

Opie’s as cuddly as a bear.

raaji

September 23, 2008 at 5:14pm

choco chip cookies are my fav vaishali……thanks for sharing….

evolver

November 21, 2011 at 3:53am

Hi, all of your recipes sound great. I’ve made several of them so far (thumbs up). Would I be able to replace flax seeds with chia seeds?

November 21, 2011 at 3:05pm

Evolver, I am not sure– I’ve never used chia seeds. The flax works as a binder and also adds some moisture to the recipe. Because chia seeds also contain omega-3 fatty acids, they could work as a substitute. If you try, let me know how it worked.

Anonymous

May 13, 2012 at 10:22pm

Cookies look yummy, but my daughter has an oat allergy. Any ideas for a substitute?