Sweet Vegan! Calling All Cooks

This had to happen. I just had to challenge all you cooks out there to flex your delicious imaginations and come up with sweet desserts and treats that are absolutely free of any and all animal products. In other words, vegan sweets.
While it is not hard at all to cook and eat vegan most of the time, sweets can be a bit of a challenge to the most seasoned vegan cook. Western desserts, usually baked, rely heavily on eggs, butter, cream and other dairy products. Indian sweets are also usually dairy-based, which puts them on a vegan’s list of just-can’t-eat foods.

But at the same time, there are cooks out there who are every day challenging our long-held notions about cooking with animal products. Today, not only is it possible to make vegan versions of most popular sweets, it is also possible to make them just as delicious, if not more so.

For this event, just think different. How about almond or soy milk instead of cow’s milk? Ground flaxseed or cornflour or silken tofu instead of eggs? Soymilk curdled with vinegar instead of buttermilk? And if you just cannot do without the sour cream or the cream cheese or the whipped cream, remember, there are vegan options of all these foods available at health food stores and even, sometimes, in your regular supermarket. Most are surprisingly good.

Of course, if your recipe does not require an animal product in the first place, you don’t have to worry about the substitutes at all.

I’d love to see what you can come up with, and no, you don’t have to have a food blog to enter this event. The recipe does have to be newly posted, though, so please don’t send old blog posts unless you cook and post the recipe again for this event.

Send as many entries as you like and link back to this post. Feel free to use the logo. If you need help, there are already many bloggers out there who have posted countless recipes for sweet vegan treats. All you need to remember is the recipe has to be sweet and none of the ingredients should have an animal source. So no butter, milk, cream, ghee or other dairy products, no eggs, and no honey.

Your entries should reach me before 6 pm Oct. 31 at vaishalihonawar[at]gmail[dot]com, or just click on the Email tab in my profile. Include these details:

Your blog name

Your blog url

Url of your entry

A picture about 300 pixels in width

Good luck, everyone, and sweet eats!

36 thoughts on “Sweet Vegan! Calling All Cooks

Uma

September 22, 2008 at 9:16pm

wow, tempting event vaishali! Let me see what can I cook something vegan! Supermarket, here I come! Best wishes on your first (is it?) event dear!

September 22, 2008 at 9:30pm

Uma, Thanks, dear: it is indeed my first event and I’m so excited! I cannot wait to see what you come up with.

Madhuram

September 22, 2008 at 9:54pm

Very good event Vaishali. Actually I was thinking how come you have not started any event for vegans and here you are!

Will definitely send my entries.

Divya

September 22, 2008 at 11:27pm

Cool! Vaishali, All the very best for hosting your very first event.
    I will try to cook up something vegan, shouldn’t be that difficult after following your blog for so long now, isn’t it?
    Good luck!

Meera

September 23, 2008 at 1:40am

Count me in!! Hopefully I will come up with something.

Cham

September 23, 2008 at 2:37am

Very challenging especially for me who don’t make sweet ! And Vegan :( I need to start digging right away in my library!

Aparna

September 23, 2008 at 5:15am

This is an interesting idea. Let me see what I can come up with? Its going to be tough for me.:)

Pearlsofeast

September 23, 2008 at 5:33am

Love the theme of the event,Excited and looking forward for new ideas.

Shreya

September 23, 2008 at 7:46am

Hi Vaishali, what a great event, really out-of-the-box thinking! So wonderful that it is your first event too. I will surely have an entry:-)Have missed reading your blog, and will catch up with previous posts soon..

sowmya

September 23, 2008 at 9:44am

interesting..lets see if I can think of something..right now , I am lost..have to put on my thinking cap..

Lavi

September 23, 2008 at 11:10am

Started to crack my head..Great Event:)

Sireesha

September 23, 2008 at 12:19pm

That is a very good event Vaishali.All the best for it.Enjoy hosting:)

Happy cook

September 23, 2008 at 12:33pm

This is going to be a real challeng for me.
    Never made any vegan sweet in my whole life.
    Will try to send yousomething

Swati Raman Garg

September 23, 2008 at 1:25pm

you know some days back .. bhags had to prepare vegan desserts… she sure has some great ideas.. would look forward to the round up and in the meanwhile searc h for what i can prepare….

ANJALI J.

September 23, 2008 at 1:50pm

This is a great event. being a vegan is so difficult i feel.. i myself am a vegetarian, but never thought of excluding milk and ghee or butter from my diet :)
    but its a challenging one, so i am in :)

raaji

September 23, 2008 at 5:16pm

ho thats ur first event????nice concept.sure will try to comeup with something….

Sangeeth

September 23, 2008 at 5:18pm

great idea to make everyone vegan….love t he concept will try to pitch in something

Usha

September 23, 2008 at 9:16pm

Great idea Vaishali…I am sure you are going to receive plenty of interesting recipes..already looking forward to the roundup…let me see what I can contribute :)

Sunshinemom

September 24, 2008 at 3:01am

Vaish – I did not know about this yesterday when I bookmarked all those yummy vegan recipes and placed the links on my blog!! Now I have an excuse to see how they taste:)

DEESHA

September 24, 2008 at 11:48am

nice event .. will really have to rack my brains N comeup with somethng .. Happy hosting, vaishali

bee

September 24, 2008 at 7:05pm

dear vaishali,

can we link up to an already posted recipe and send it in?

September 24, 2008 at 7:50pm

Thanks, everyone, and really excited about going through all your delicious entries!

Bee, You could use a recipe you’ve made before, but I’d need you to post it again for this event. Hope that answers your question. I’ll look forward to your entry!

G.Pavani

September 25, 2008 at 6:39am

Hi,vaishali
    the event is tempting me ,let me try some vegan recipe for ur event.
    All the Best for ur Event….

Dershana

September 25, 2008 at 7:15am

Hi Vaishali, does sound interesting…will try out something for this. All the best with the event.

September 25, 2008 at 12:40pm

HI vaishali…am not able to send my mail with my recipes, coz its says ur gmail address is incorrect..pls let me know ur email address…thanks..

September 25, 2008 at 1:49pm

Priya, try vaishalihonawar@gmail.com. You can also click on the email link in my profile. I’ll check and make sure I’ve got the right one in the post.
    Thanks for pointing it out, and looking forward to your entry.

Mansi

October 31, 2008 at 6:05pm

just sent you my entry…hope you got it in time!:) looking forward to the roundup!