This Thanksgiving, Say No to Cruelty

Kudos to the New York Times for running this story right in its weekly Dining section on PETA’s latest undercover investigation of the Aviagen turkey farm in West Virginia and the mind-shattering cruelty perpetrated by its workers against innocent birds.

The video shows workers stomping on the birds and punching them, among other atrocities. I’ve embedded it below. Do watch it, even if you feel you don’t have the stomach for it, because in this case our ignorance is certainly not bliss- not for the poor birds.

Watch more videos at PETA.org

This is by no means an isolated incident: in fact, other investigations by PETA and the Humane Society of the United States have shown it’s all in a day’s work at many poultry and other animal factory farms.

This Thanksgiving, when you cook for your family, consider great vegan options you can put on your plate, instead of death and suffering. Celebrations should be a time to cherish everything that’s wonderful about our lives and the world, and cruelty toward voiceless animals should have no part in it. It is estimated that 45 million turkeys are killed in the United States for Thanksgiving each year. Isn’t it ironic, then, that media space and air time is usually devoted to the one single turkey that gets the presidential pardon?

You can find plenty of vegan recipes both here on Holy Cow! and on many other vegan blogs, including some of the wonderful blogs in my blogroll. I also plan to post some Thanksgiving special recipes over the coming days, including vegan versions of traditional favorites, so stay tuned.

11 thoughts on “This Thanksgiving, Say No to Cruelty

G3

November 19, 2008 at 10:40pm

I saw the article and video yday on PETA’s newsletter. Very disturbing and am so glad not to be a part of it. It’s amazing how insensitive human beings can be. How brave and manly can one feel when they are harming innocent animals. Makes me really ashamed of the human kind we belong to.

Sunshinemom

November 19, 2008 at 11:55pm

What made me change was the fact that during the July 25th rains here (Some years back), all the cattle in Aarey MIlk colony were left tied in their small sheds and left to fend for themselves while the people vacated the building to escape the torrent of rains – the result was thousands of animals dead because they could not escape! The incident was put me off because we use everything the poor things could give and in return we could not even respect their lives! Was it too much to make a place for them? Were they not entitled to a decent life after all they give? I still find it disturbing. Not that I don’t have tea – I still do. What I feel is, it is all right to not go vegan but at least one should avoid massacre of this kind. BTW, I too had watched this video and was reduced to tears!! It is insane that we can be this cruel – we who are supposed to be the most civilized about all animals!!

Uma

November 20, 2008 at 4:59am

I just can’t watch it any more! How can they do this? So inhumane!

Curry Leaf

November 20, 2008 at 10:32pm

Disturbing Video.Happy to be a vegetarian,though I agree with Sunshinemom.Cruelty to cows is very much in India.

Indranee

November 21, 2008 at 5:00pm

Nice post dear,for an animal love like me! Have something for you in my blog.

Katie

November 22, 2008 at 5:53am

Videos like that are really eye-opening and so very, very sad…I think a lot of people are not aware of that side of the meat industry.

Braja

November 25, 2008 at 4:51am

Love your site; am an Aussie living in India, and a vegetarian (I drink cows milk from our own protected, nurtured and happy cows :) I’m a returner here, for sure … though I cannot watch those videos. Thanks for putting them up though…

Susan

November 26, 2008 at 8:07pm

Freaks and geeks. This is insupportable and contemptible behavior. I am usually careful to keep my opinions to myself, but not when it comes to cruelty.