It’s A Vegan World: A Food Event

Time was when kitchens were so traditional that women — who always did the cooking– rarely ventured to make anything that was not something their moms and grandmoms had made for decades.

Time was when people found foods they were not used to impossible to even contemplate, and therefore eat.

Time was when it was not at all easy to find and shop for ingredients exotic to the region one lived in, restricting even the most innovative cook.

Thank goodness we don’t live in those times.

Today, our kitchens — no matter where we live — are infused with global flavors. Most of us have access to and can eat, cook, and rave about food from every corner of the world: Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Greek, Lebanese, French, Mexican…there really is no stopping.

So why am I writing this? A few weeks back, the prolific Madhuram suggested that I host a vegan pizza or pasta event. I loved the idea, but I thought, why not run further with it? Why stop at Italian? Why not start a series that celebrates, one at a time, food from every corner of the world? Vegan, of course.

So here’s the plan: every month, I’ll feature a country or a region (feel free to make any suggestions) as part of this series which I will call It’s a Vegan World. And each one of you amazing bloggers and non-blogger cooks is invited to participate with your recipes.

To make the kick-off a little easier on both you and me, I decided to go with one of the most popular cuisines of all: Italian. Who among us doesn’t love Italian food, and there’s so much to love: pastas, pizzas, risottos, fragrant herbs, delicious sauces, luscious desserts…pure joy, all of it.

Italian food we eat here in the United States often has globs of butter and cheese in it, but I’m hoping that when you’re required to cook vegan, you’ll come up with healthier alternatives. A win-win all around :).

You can cook anything: entree, appetizer, side-dish, dessert, a snack: your imagination’s the only limit. It doesn’t have to be a traditional recipe, but it should fit into the parameters of what is generally accepted as Italian food. Don’t send me, say, semiya upma made with spaghetti.

Here are the guidelines:

The deadline for It’s a Vegan World: Italian is Feb. 28, 2009.

These foods are no-nos in vegan cooking, so please leave them out: honey, butter, eggs, cheese, ghee, milk, yogurt (basically no milk-based products), gelatin, and, of course, no meats or fish. Vegan meat substitutes are fine.

The recipe should be cooked for this event, so please do not recycle old posts.

Link back to this announcement, and feel free to use the logo below.

Send me an email with your post to myveganworld[at]gmail.com. Include these details:

Your name

Blog name

Post url

I’ll get the photograph from your post

That’s it. I know this is a bit of a challenge, but I also know that most of you out there are up for it. So put on your aprons and get thinking: I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

36 thoughts on “It’s A Vegan World: A Food Event

Happy cook

January 22, 2009 at 6:13pm

I love italian pasta made with veg.
    I think the ones i make are already posted.
    If i make a another one, i will surley send to you.

January 22, 2009 at 7:05pm

thats a lovely idea for an event Vaishali, and I am ready for the world tour :)

Curry Leaf

January 22, 2009 at 8:04pm

Love the idea,let me see what I can do.Lovely event Vaishali.

January 22, 2009 at 8:35pm

Vaishali thats great, i have already something to post soon, just prepared italian for today’s lunch..

Cham

January 22, 2009 at 10:22pm

Vegan Italian without Parmesan? , love the fact is Vegan which I find sometime challenging….I will think vegan from now :)

Usha

January 22, 2009 at 11:22pm

Sounds like a great event, I already have my thinking cap on, let me see what I can come up with :-)

LG

January 23, 2009 at 1:35am

Italian without cheese…ummm..have to think!

Shreya

January 23, 2009 at 4:40am

Hi Vaishali, I am so excited at the thought of all those lovely cuisines that will be showcased here because of this awesome event! I have only tasted a few Italian, Indo-Chinese, Thai, and Mexican dishes, and this series of events will open my eyes to many more for sure. Will try to send in something for this first one: the popular Italian. I do hope what I come up with will be considered Italian!:-)

anudivya

January 23, 2009 at 5:27pm

I have a perfect dish for this event Vaishali, (you might be surprised) am gonna get cooking soon…

Sunshinemom

January 23, 2009 at 5:50pm

This is ticklish!! Let me see – I am sure I will have something!

Madhu

January 23, 2009 at 6:04pm

Italian theme and no cheese….:)
    I am in..Will send in..

Dibs

January 24, 2009 at 1:29am

Oh wow! Great idea…and what a coincidence, I was thinking of making a blog series on veget food from every country / geo as well! Will look forward to this event, and I already have a vegan sushi I need to blog abt! Will do it when you announce Japan!!

Dibs

January 24, 2009 at 1:32am

Dibs

January 24, 2009 at 1:34am

some browser mess happened …I hope you dont land up having 3 comments from me saying the same thing!!

sowmya

January 24, 2009 at 7:06am

sounds interesting..a tough event..but a scope to put our brains to really work hard!!!

Aparna

January 24, 2009 at 3:10pm

This sounds like great idea for an event. I hope I can manage to be a part of it.

Yasmeen

January 24, 2009 at 8:55pm

I like the theme vaishali,hopefully I’ll cook up a vegan Italian meal:)

KV

January 24, 2009 at 9:27pm

Hi Vaishali, first time here. I loved the theme of cooking up an Italian meal without cheese! i have always loved Italian food and cook it very often..now this is something i’m definitely gonna try!
    Cheers!

Sathya Sankar

February 5, 2009 at 5:42am

Hey Vaishali, Gr8 Theme !
    i do have a question reg ‘vegan’, can we use the store-brought pasta that contains egg in it ? bcos to my knowledge all the pasta’s hve eggs in it…

February 5, 2009 at 3:05pm

Hi Sathya, I always check pasta labels before I buy and to my knowledge most are vegan. Some might be made in facilities that also process eggs or dairy, but these ingredients aren’t added to the pasta itself.
    I usually get Whole Foods pasta which is always vegan, unless it states otherwise.
    Hope that helps, and I’m looking forward to your entry!

Asha

February 6, 2009 at 10:37pm

Just came to know abut this event but making a vegan dish is really really hard for me unless I steal one of your recipes and make it and send it you!! :D

I will try and I will add this event to my sidebar too.

Soma

February 9, 2009 at 2:58am

Vaishalli, I have posted spaghetti, which qualifies as a vegan italian. Meera dropped by & suggested I send it here. However I have already sent it to FIC orange & Alka’s event. Can I still send in to yours?

miss v

February 12, 2009 at 6:28pm

as an italian myself, i cook tons of vegan food – italian. i’ll try to get a new recipe blogged before the deadline!

Priya Narasimhan

February 23, 2009 at 2:53pm

Hi Vaishali,
    I have been reading your blog for quite sometime now and came across your event.I would definitely like to post my recipe.I had planned to make pasta by following the recipe given by my neighbour.I will make it vegan and if it comes out good, I will post it. :-)
    BTW, I like your “About me” in your profile very much.

Sangs

February 26, 2009 at 8:35pm

Very nice event….Thanks for hosting the event….since I have already sent the entry for this…now I am eagerly waiting for the next one:)

TBC

February 28, 2009 at 5:40am

Vaishali,
    I just sent you an e-mail with the detials of my entry. Hope you have received it.

Susan

March 1, 2009 at 5:46pm

I sent you my entry at around 11:50 last night. Hope you got it. I will be adding photos to the post later today. Thanks.

Rumela

September 4, 2009 at 9:29pm

I was made this for dinner tonight, and it was delicious! I was a little nervous it wouldn’t have enough depth of flavor, but it turned out scrumptious. even my meat-loving husband liked it. I’m trying to do several meatless meals a week both for our health and our budget, so I really appreciate easy, vegan pasta meals. thank you for shearing your post.

radha

September 29, 2009 at 8:49am

HI Vaishali! just discovered your cool blog, maybe i am still on time, will see if can come up with something tonite in the kitchen. Also, did you already proposed it’a a Vegan World…Hong Kong?! cheers, radha