Angel-Hair Pasta with Green Beans and Mushrooms

Angel-Hair Pasta with Green Beans and Mushrooms, Vegan
Desi’s accused me of cooking a lot of pasta recently because I’m hosting the It’s A Vegan World: Italian event.

Between you and me, there is maybe– just maybe– some truth to that. But then again, why not eat all the pasta you can? Apparently Sophia Loren eats it every day, and just look at her! I can always dream, can’t I?

I add vodka to this very light sauce because it gives the sauce a great depth of flavor. Besides, the alcohol all cooks off, so rest assured you aren’t going to get tipsy after dinner.

Angel-hair pasta is best in this recipe, although regular spaghetti would be fine. The secret here is to add a ton of veggies. Use anything you have on hand. I used mushrooms, green beans and onions, but you could add bell peppers, eggplant, scallions (spring onions), even leafies like arugula, baby spinach or watercress.

I stir in some walnuts to give the pasta more crunch and texture. Pine nuts would work great too.

So here’s my easy, weeknight pasta recipe. Try and use whole-wheat pasta to make sure your dish is as healthy as can be.

Enjoy, everyone!

Angel-Hair Pasta with Green Beans and Mushrooms

1/2 pound whole-grain angel-hair pasta, cooked according to instructions in salted water.

In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add to the pot:

1 cup of chopped green beans.
Stop the cooking as soon as the pasta is al dente. Drain the pasta and beans and set aside. Reserve about 1/2 to 1 cup of the pasta water.

Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil

Add:

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

Saute, stirring frequently, until the onion softens and turns translucent.

Add 1 pound of sliced button or cremini mushrooms and 1/3 cup of vodka

Saute the mushrooms until they start to caramelize and the liquid is mostly gone.

Add 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil and 1 tsp dried oregano or 2-3 tbsp of fresh oregano, finely chopped

Add 1 tbsp fresh-ground black pepper and salt to taste.

Stir everything together, then add the pasta and beans. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta-boiling water.

Toss together and continue cooking on very low heat another couple of minutes.

Stir in 1/3 cup of lightly toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts.

Let the pasta stand another couple of minutes before serving.

14 thoughts on “Angel-Hair Pasta with Green Beans and Mushrooms

Asha

February 12, 2009 at 8:51pm

Delicious! Love the green beans.

Ashwini

February 13, 2009 at 1:09am

Hi First time here..Lovely color from the beans..Pasta looks tempting and delicious..

Sharmila

February 13, 2009 at 3:42am

That is the way I love to cook … dunk in every veggie that comes my way .. of course dunkable veggies .. I will keep away the turai/lauki from pasta/sphagetti.
    :-) Love the sauce. :-)

ashok

February 13, 2009 at 11:45am

Lovely recipe. I will try it with homemade fresh pasta though called pasta fresco. An easy recipe for that is given in my blog linked to this post

vegwife

February 13, 2009 at 4:58pm

I love pasta! And that looks awesome, especially with the mushrooms! Hubby doesn’t like to eat too much pasta, but I may be able to convince him of this one since it has mushrooms! :-D

Cham

February 13, 2009 at 9:05pm

The green bean and mush looks awesome with the pasta. Very pretty dish!

Rathna

February 14, 2009 at 12:12am

Hi Vaishali,
    Can you please send me the picture for the entry you’ve sent me…It’s missing :-)

vidhas

February 16, 2009 at 4:56am

Lovely pasta, my kids love this. Can you come and collect something from my blog.

Shreya

February 16, 2009 at 5:24am

looks so delicious.. the green beans and mushroom combo is so good:-)

Shantee'

February 19, 2009 at 1:54pm

I made this last night and it was yummy! However, I had to put soy sauce on it at the end, since I couldn’t get the flavor right. I’ll definitely make it again!

Shantee'