It’s A Vegan World: Mexican

As much as Desi and I love to travel, we rarely ever consider going back to places we’ve visited because there is so much more world left to see. But if there is one country I’ve been to that I would return to in a heartbeat, it would have to be Mexico.

There’s something magical about our neighbor to the south, and I don’t just mean the gorgeous but tourist-crammed beaches, mountains and valleys. There’s the warmth of the people, the lure of its history and legend, and the food, oh, the food.

I think one of the reasons I love Mexican food as much as I do is because it reminds my tastebuds just a little bit of of their native favorite, Indian food.

Like Indians, Mexicans eat a lot of rice and beans, and they light it all up with plenty of heat. In fact, just thinking of all those gorgeous South American chili peppers makes my head spin and my mouth water. Habaneros, jalapenos, serranos, anaheims, poblanos…how can anything cooked with all that raging, fiery flavor be anything but delicious.

So for the month of March, as we shake off the last of the winter blues, I thought we’d live it up a bit with the brilliant cuisine of Mexico. There’s plenty to cook up that’s divinely vegan: salsas, guacamoles, tortillas, tamales, quesadillas, tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, flans, and so much more….your creativity is the limit.

I am going to throw open this event for guest hosts starting next month. The super-creative Priya of Akshayapaatram will host it in April, but for anyone who is interested in hosting it thereafter, just drop me an email at myveganworld@gmail.com. Let me know if there is any particular country/region you’d like to feature.

I had a truly wonderful response to the first month of IAVW, when we featured Italian cuisine. I am completely in awe of all the creativity you guys showed by cooking up vegan versions of your popular Italian favorites. I’ll be posting that roundup in the coming week. And in case you want to send something in, there’s still time until tomorrow!

Meanwhile, here are the guidelines for It’s A Vegan World: Mexican.

The deadline is March 31, 2009.

These foods are no-nos in vegan cooking, so please leave them out: honey, butter, eggs, cheese, ghee, milk, yogurt (basically no milk-based products), gelatin, and, of course, no meats or fish. Vegan meat or cheese substitutes are fine.

The recipe should be cooked for this event, so please do not recycle old posts.

Link back to this announcement, and feel free to use the logo below.

Non-bloggers are also very welcome. Just send me your recipe and a picture.

As for bloggers, send me an email with your post to myveganworld[at]gmail.com. Include these details:

Your name

Blog name

Post url

I’ll get the photograph from your post

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone, and don’t forget to put on your thinking sombreros. It’s time for some vegan Mexican enchantment!

19 thoughts on “It’s A Vegan World: Mexican

TheChicGeek

February 28, 2009 at 5:28am

I’ve enjoyed exploring your page. You have a great blog! I’m really loving it! I’m going to try some of your yummy sounding recipes :)
    Have a Great Weekend!

Cham

February 28, 2009 at 6:48am

I had a thought u gonna announce Mexican for the next theme. I know what I am going to send u! Great choice Vaishu!

Uma

February 28, 2009 at 5:49pm

I couldn’t participate in the Italian event as I was busy in moving and stuff. But I am not going to miss this event. I will definitely send something dear! I promise I won’t recycle old posts, ha ha ha! Best wishes!

Poornima Nair

February 28, 2009 at 6:17pm

Hey Vaishali…this is a great theme, love mexican food…I missed the italian event but will surely try to send something for this one…

Asha

February 28, 2009 at 9:37pm

Love Mexican! I am taking a break at Aroma this month, will see if I can catch up. Enjoy the weekend! :)

Lavi

March 1, 2009 at 3:14pm

i was planning to try mexican rice this week.. and this event will not make me lazy to try and post!

kahliyalogue

March 1, 2009 at 9:28pm

I heart mexican food,though I havent been exposed to it in quite a while..I`ll see if I can come up with something..if not this is a great occasion for me to learn more about it! Thanx! Mia.

Anonymous

March 1, 2009 at 11:44pm

I remember an Indian/Mexican restaurant on Macdougal St. in NYC which, unfortunately, no longer exists. The two cuisines complemented each other very well. It’s hard to find a Mexican restaurant to eat at if you are vegan or vegetarian though, what with lard and chicken stock, etc. I’m not sure a vegan could eat in a restaurant in Mexico. Do you know otherwise?

March 2, 2009 at 1:08pm

TheChicGeek, Thanks for your kind words. Feel free to ask any questions if you try any of the recipes. And hope you had a nice weekend!

Cham, That’s wonderful. I’ll look forward to seeing what you cook up!

Uma, Hope you had a good move. Looking forward to your entry!

Poornima,Asha, Looking forward to your entries, too.

Lavi, Mexican rice sounds divine. Would love to see the recipe!

Kahliyalogue, Hope you send something in– I’d love to see what you come up with.

Anonymous, A Mexican-Indian restaurant sounds great. Sorry it closed, but I can imagine how the flavors must have really complemented each other.
    Out here in suburban Washington it’s not hard for me to find Mexican restaurants that serve at least a few vegan dishes, and I always check with them on the stock/fat they use. I would guess most major cities would be the same.

March 2, 2009 at 8:58pm

I finally can force myself to try out a few recipes in my bookmarks folder :D Thank you soo much for letting me host the event Vaishali!

Deepa Hari

March 4, 2009 at 4:48pm

Nice event Vaishali…sounds great…i am sending my entry today.

Aparna

March 5, 2009 at 4:20pm

I can see I have missed out on some good food here while I’ve been away.:)

I just borrowed a book on Mexican food from the library last week, so is that a sign, I wonder? :)

Usha

March 6, 2009 at 2:24pm

I love Mexican cuisine so this roundup is something I am really looking forward to ! I hope I can come up with something for it too!

Madhuram

March 7, 2009 at 10:51pm

Me too Vaish, like Cham I also guesed that this month’s theme would be Mexican. I’ll try to send some entries before we start the moving process.

Soma

March 8, 2009 at 4:23am

Mexican is Great! I just got some Tomatillos.. let’s see if I can ship up something in time to send it to u.

Yasmeen

March 14, 2009 at 1:55am

unbelievable coincidence,I made vegan empanadas today,glad to have found an event just right to send it to:)