It’s A Vegan World: Mexican

As much as Desi and I love to travel, we rarely ever consider going back to places we’ve visited because there is so much more world left to see. But if there is one country I’ve been to that I would return to in a heartbeat, it would have to be Mexico.

There’s something magical about our neighbor to the south, and I don’t just mean the gorgeous but tourist-crammed beaches, mountains and valleys. There’s the warmth of the people, the lure of its history and legend, and the food, oh, the food.

I think one of the reasons I love Mexican food as much as I do is because it reminds my tastebuds just a little bit of of their native favorite, Indian food.

Like Indians, Mexicans eat a lot of rice and beans, and they light it all up with plenty of heat. In fact, just thinking of all those gorgeous South American chili peppers makes my head spin and my mouth water. Habaneros, jalapenos, serranos, anaheims, poblanos…how can anything cooked with all that raging, fiery flavor be anything but delicious.

So for the month of March, as we shake off the last of the winter blues, I thought we’d live it up a bit with the brilliant cuisine of Mexico. There’s plenty to cook up that’s divinely vegan: salsas, guacamoles, tortillas, tamales, quesadillas, tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, flans, and so much more….your creativity is the limit.

I am going to throw open this event for guest hosts starting next month. The super-creative Priya of Akshayapaatram will host it in April, but for anyone who is interested in hosting it thereafter, just drop me an email at myveganworld@gmail.com. Let me know if there is any particular country/region you’d like to feature.

I had a truly wonderful response to the first month of IAVW, when we featured Italian cuisine. I am completely in awe of all the creativity you guys showed by cooking up vegan versions of your popular Italian favorites. I’ll be posting that roundup in the coming week. And in case you want to send something in, there’s still time until tomorrow!

Meanwhile, here are the guidelines for It’s A Vegan World: Mexican.

The deadline is March 31, 2009.

These foods are no-nos in vegan cooking, so please leave them out: honey, butter, eggs, cheese, ghee, milk, yogurt (basically no milk-based products), gelatin, and, of course, no meats or fish. Vegan meat or cheese substitutes are fine.

The recipe should be cooked for this event, so please do not recycle old posts.

Link back to this announcement, and feel free to use the logo below.

Non-bloggers are also very welcome. Just send me your recipe and a picture.

As for bloggers, send me an email with your post to myveganworld[at]gmail.com. Include these details:

Your name

Blog name

Post url

I’ll get the photograph from your post

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone, and don’t forget to put on your thinking sombreros. It’s time for some vegan Mexican enchantment!

Comments

1. says

I couldn’t participate in the Italian event as I was busy in moving and stuff. But I am not going to miss this event. I will definitely send something dear! I promise I won’t recycle old posts, ha ha ha! Best wishes!

2. says

I heart mexican food,though I havent been exposed to it in quite a while..I`ll see if I can come up with something..if not this is a great occasion for me to learn more about it! Thanx! Mia.

3. Anonymous says

I remember an Indian/Mexican restaurant on Macdougal St. in NYC which, unfortunately, no longer exists. The two cuisines complemented each other very well. It’s hard to find a Mexican restaurant to eat at if you are vegan or vegetarian though, what with lard and chicken stock, etc. I’m not sure a vegan could eat in a restaurant in Mexico. Do you know otherwise?

4. says

TheChicGeek, Thanks for your kind words. Feel free to ask any questions if you try any of the recipes. And hope you had a nice weekend!

Cham, That’s wonderful. I’ll look forward to seeing what you cook up!

Uma, Hope you had a good move. Looking forward to your entry!

Poornima,Asha, Looking forward to your entries, too.

Lavi, Mexican rice sounds divine. Would love to see the recipe!

Kahliyalogue, Hope you send something in– I’d love to see what you come up with.

Anonymous, A Mexican-Indian restaurant sounds great. Sorry it closed, but I can imagine how the flavors must have really complemented each other.
    Out here in suburban Washington it’s not hard for me to find Mexican restaurants that serve at least a few vegan dishes, and I always check with them on the stock/fat they use. I would guess most major cities would be the same.

5. says

I finally can force myself to try out a few recipes in my bookmarks folder :D Thank you soo much for letting me host the event Vaishali!

6. says

I can see I have missed out on some good food here while I’ve been away.:)

I just borrowed a book on Mexican food from the library last week, so is that a sign, I wonder? :)

7. says

I love Mexican cuisine so this roundup is something I am really looking forward to ! I hope I can come up with something for it too!

8. says

Me too Vaish, like Cham I also guesed that this month’s theme would be Mexican. I’ll try to send some entries before we start the moving process.