Meera’s Black-Eyed Peas Curry (Chawlichi Amti): Toques Off!

I love everything about black-eyed peas: that rakish, rebellious look (ever wonder where each one of them got a black eye?), the fact that they look like beans but are called peas, the robust and distinctive taste that sets them apart from other beans…need I go on?

I’m always looking out for special recipes to cook up these special little guys, and last month, browsing through Meera’s wonderful Web site, Enjoy Indian Food, I found one that made me hit the bookmark button. (In fact, all her recipes make me want to do that.)

But it was only this week that I got around to finally making this delicious curry, and believe me, it was worth the wait.

This curry uses few spices, but delivers a taste wallop. As Meera suggested, I sprouted the beans first, which always sends their nutritive value soaring into the stratosphere. Sprouting also helps make cooking the beans to tenderness a far quicker process than if you were to use them straight out of the bag.

The curry was very easy to put together, and I didn’t deviate one bit from Meera’s instructions: hey, why mess around with perfection, right? So I won’t post the recipe again, although you can see it on Meera’s blog right here.

Here are the pictures, though. Trust me, you cannot go wrong with this one.

Thanks, Meera, for a keeper!

11 thoughts on “Meera’s Black-Eyed Peas Curry (Chawlichi Amti): Toques Off!

Asha

February 6, 2009 at 10:30pm

Meera’s blog is like a encyclopedia of recipes, each one is wonderful. Great photo, love the color too. Good one, enjoy! :)

Asha

February 6, 2009 at 10:54pm

I got one Vegan Italian for you, a very simple but yummy dish.I will make it and post next week. Enjoy the weekend! :)

Pavithra Kodical

February 7, 2009 at 12:20am

I too love to cook with different legumes..Black eyed peas is always a winner..Curry looks delicious..

Meera

February 7, 2009 at 1:22am

Thanks so much for trying chawlichi amti, Vaish. Glad you guys liked it.
    I feel really flattered by your kind words. You are being so generous…Thank you.

Mahimaa's kitchen

February 7, 2009 at 3:33am

oh this is such a simple dish.. sometimes dishes made with least number of ingredients taste great! this is one such dish i believe.

Soma

February 7, 2009 at 5:09am

I am fond of black eyed peas too! & Amti is the thing I am seeing around. Heard this pretty recently. Beautiful colors Vaishalli.

DJ Karma

February 7, 2009 at 5:58am

I have a bag of black-eyed (rebellious) peas sitting in my pantry! What’s your method for sprouting them? Does it change the flavor? Just wondering!

Alka

February 7, 2009 at 6:55am

Ah anything with these taste wonderful.
    We make it simply in caramalized onion gravy with tomatoes basic spices like turmeric,coriander pwdr and garam masala and it always turn out aweosme.Darn now craving for some and would have to wait till these gets soaked for hours :-(
    Went thru Meera’s recipe,its totally different way of making black eyed beauties ,but i simply loved it

zlamushka

February 7, 2009 at 11:39am

a long time ago, I was vegan for 2 years and I know sometimes I would kill for a rich creamy meaty stew :-) that is probably why my will broke along the way :-( now after two years of crap diet, I am re-living my vegan journey again with my 21-day vegan challenge, as from what I was told, it takes three weeks to change oneĀ“s habits….

I ll be back for more inspiration :-)

Cham

February 7, 2009 at 11:06pm

The curry looks so delicous and sprouting is always a great idea