Thai-Style Noodles In Coconut Sauce

When I go out with friends and work acquaintances for lunch, they invariably tread gingerly around the Vegan.

“Where would you like to eat?” they ask.

“Anywhere, really?” I offer.

“No, you decide. I’m fine with anything that’s fine by you,” goes the other person.

So, with the burden of decision-making on my shoulders, I usually respond, “How about Thai?”

I don’t know anyone who’s turned that down yet.

Thai food’s a crowd-pleaser, an everybody-pleaser, really. After all, what’s not to love? The delicious bite of chilli, the fragrance of herbs like basil and lemon grass, the creamy allure of coconut milk…what more can one ask for?

Plus, it’s wonderful for a vegan because the Thai restaurants in my city, at least, offer several vegetarian and vegan options.

My dish for today is a mish-mash of many different recipes from Thai cuisine and one for which cooking purists might want to condemn me to death. But it’s a dish I’d be happy to have for my last meal.

There’s tofu in this recipe, and I marinate it for an extra flavor punch in sesame oil and screaming-hot Sriracha sauce. Yum.

Enough said. Here goes the recipe for my Thai-Style Noodles In Coconut Sauce. They are divine and delicious and to die for. And they go, of course, to It’s A Vegan World: Thai, hosted this month by the beautiful blog Akshayapaatram. Thanks, Priya!

Thai-Style Noodles In Coconut Sauce

1 package extra-firm tofu. Swaddle it in paper towels or cheesecloth and place in a colander with a heavy pan or other weight on top. Let most of the water drain out.

In a glass baking dish mix together:

1 tsp toasted sesame oil

1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (use any other hot sauce or chilli powder if you can’t find this)

Salt to taste

1 tbsp sugar

Soak the block of tofu on each side in the sauce, then place in a 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes. Turn over once halfway through baking. After the tofu has cooled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and set aside.

Cook 1 lb very thin whole-wheat noodles, like Japanese Somen Noodles, according to package directions and drain.

Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a wok.

Add:

5 cloves garlic, minced

Stir until the garlic starts to turn golden

Add:

1 red bell pepper, cut into very thin slices

1 zucchini, cut into thin strips

5-6 scallions, white and green parts chopped

Stir-fry until the veggies start to soften.

Now add 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste

1 cup coconut milk

1-2 tbsp tamari sauce (use soy sauce if you can’t find this)

When the coconut milk’s warmed, add the tofu and cooked noodles and stir together to coat.

Turn off the heat and garnish with 10-15 basil leaves, cut into thin strips

Add 1/2 cup of roasted, coarsely chopped peanuts

Stir to mix and serve hot.

Enjoy!

15 thoughts on “Thai-Style Noodles In Coconut Sauce

Lavi

April 26, 2009 at 4:51am

Vaishali…Noodle’s in Coconut sauce, by title, you made me drool..I have to try this soon!!

April 26, 2009 at 1:24pm

gorgeous thai style noodles..looks yum!

Paulina

April 26, 2009 at 2:12pm

This looks so delicious and it’s what I’ve been craving! Unfortunately, I’ve never been to a Thai restauarant before, but I really should!

karmalily

April 26, 2009 at 3:42pm

This looks great!! I agree that Thai food is an amazing way to go for vegans looking to eat out. Unfortunately, all the Thai restaurants I know of where I live are unusually expensive, but it’s so worth it. I can’t wait to try this recipe out.

Soma

April 26, 2009 at 6:38pm

That looks so colorful & DELIGHTFUL Vaishali

Pavani

April 26, 2009 at 6:59pm

Marinating and baking tofu sounds delicious. Love the combination of flavors you have in the dish.

Poornima Nair

April 26, 2009 at 7:31pm

I love Thai food too, though I’ve never cooked at home…that dish looks awesome.

A_and_N

April 27, 2009 at 1:10am

Thai is a fave at home too :) I have to post my Thai recipe for Priya!

Miri

April 27, 2009 at 11:35am

Looks delicious – I just posted a Tom Yum soup with noodles and I would have loved to have marinated the tofu like you did…

Arch

April 27, 2009 at 12:09pm

Looks heavenly…I love anything in coconut milk…lovely one Vaishali

Cham

April 27, 2009 at 5:54pm

Tasty with coconut milk, glad the Thai restau has vegan option, I always suspect for fish sauce or shrimp paste in their sauce…

vincent

April 28, 2009 at 5:43pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM! YUM!.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

April 29, 2009 at 12:42pm

yup, Thai always scores high points. and marinating the tofu in sriracha, ooooh, very brave :D I made thai curry for dinner last night, can’t wait for lunch now :P

Sudha

June 25, 2009 at 12:44pm

I made this with Udon noodles last night. It was delicious – loved the taste of tofu. It had a kick to it. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.