Creamy Roasted Eggplant And Tofu Dip

051308kolata0032
A reader once called me an “eggplant freak” (in a nice way, of course :)) because of how often I cook with this wonder veggie, and I completely agree.

I love eggplant, it is very likely my most favorite vegetable, and I think that when it’s cooked well, there isn’t another veggie that comes anywhere close.

Eggplant’s also one of the reasons I look forward to summer. I grow some of my own, but I also find all sorts of amazing varieties at the farmer’s market, from tiny white, green or purple eggplants to streaked eggplants to skinny Japanese ones.

For this super-delicious, super-easy and super-healthy dip I am sharing today, I used just your regular old bulbous purple eggplant– the one you can find in any supermarket grocery section.

I seasoned and roasted the eggplant first, and then just gave it a whir in the blender along with some silken tofu and a few spices. Scoop it up with crudites, pita bread or even tortilla chips. Delicious.
051308kolata0037
Vegan Roasted Eggplant and Tofu Dip

1 large eggplant, cut in half, placed on a baking sheet.

Slice 4 cloves of garlic very thin. Now make slits in the eggplant and slide the garlic slices into it. Take care not to leave the garlic exposed in the oven because it will burn. You can roast the garlic separately, but I think this really helps infuse the garlic flavor into the eggplant.

Drizzle the eggplant with a mixture of 1 tsp olive oil + 1/4 tsp red chilli powder + 1/4 tsp turmeric (optiona) and salt to taste.

Bake the eggplant in a 350-degree oven for about 30-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center slides in easily. Set aside to cool, then scoop out the flesh from the skin and place it in a blender.

Add to the blender:

1 package silken firm tofu

1 tbsp grated ginger

1/2 cup packed mint leaves

2 tbsp lemon juice

Salt to taste

Add between 1/4- 1/2 cup of soymilk to the blender to help give the dip the consistency you’d like. I made mine rather thick, as you can see.

When the dip is quite smooth, check for salt and add more chilli powder if needed.

Enjoy!

19 thoughts on “Creamy Roasted Eggplant And Tofu Dip

Ashwini

May 13, 2009 at 7:51pm

Ur posting al new dishes which I have never tried..Looks delicious..nice click!!

Soma

May 13, 2009 at 8:47pm

This is MY Dip:-D I love eggplants & you have added all the lovely things here..ginger & mint!

Madhu

May 13, 2009 at 9:14pm

I always look for new recipes with eggplant. Very delicious dip using eggplant and tofu.

May 13, 2009 at 9:15pm

Wow wat a creamy dip, very creative Vaishali!

Gita's Kitchen

May 13, 2009 at 10:32pm

I love any form of eggplant dips…thanks for sharing this yummy and healthy dip Vaishali :)

jodye

May 13, 2009 at 10:51pm

Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables, too, and this dip looks so delicious and creamy! Do you prefer this to baba ghanoush?

Shreya

May 14, 2009 at 3:57am

Vaishali, that recipe is so simple!:-) Looks great..Is it ok to fry the eggplant on a pan with a little oil instead of baking?

Uma

May 14, 2009 at 5:53am

Join the club, Vaishali! I am a eggplant freak too :) Dip looks so gorgeous and yummmy.

Sharmila

May 14, 2009 at 9:21am

What a good idea Vaishali! Dip with a roasted flavour! Perfect for a a hot summer day. Mmmm! :-)

Mihl

May 14, 2009 at 3:32pm

I would totally consider myself an eggplant freak, too. Thank you for this fantastic recipe.

Alka

May 14, 2009 at 5:57pm

Never ever tasted brinjal with olive oil, so am still wondering how flavorful that would be…Finally i can imagine myself eating Tofu, coz its invisible in this ;-)
    Surely a tempting one….

Cham

May 14, 2009 at 6:16pm

A healthy dip is always welcome, very creamy and cannot believe is vegan!

DEESHA

June 3, 2009 at 7:28am

Lovely dip .. toasted eggplant must have give that an amazing flavor

Joyful

October 29, 2009 at 2:58am

Well at last I tried it though not without a bit of troubles :-( I was guesstimating the size of the eggplant and how much tofu to put in with it. I had a quite a small package of organiz tofu and it seemed to be the perfect size. I think personally I would prefer my dip with a bit more bite so next time will leave out the mint (tho I love mint). I added a bit of hot sauce to the dip and used it in side a pitta bread with chopped red onions, parsley and tomatoes. It was delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful dip. I must ask you though, what kind of blender do you use? Mine kept getting jammed up.