Kashmiri Dum Aloo

051308kolata0062
My recipe for the day is a classic from Kashmir, the beautiful state in the north of India: Dum Aloo.

Although potatoes are the chief ingredient in Dum Aloo, it is not usually a vegan dish because it includes cream or yogurt, or sometimes both. While one can easily substitute the yogurt with soy yogurt, which works exactly like yogurt in cooked dishes, I prefer instead to use coconut milk and some lemon juice here. The creaminess of the coconut milk is perfect with the spongily delicious texture of the potatoes.

To achieve that texture, the potatoes are usually deep-fried first. I take a healthier shortcut: I marinate the potatoes in some simple spices and roast them in the oven, in their jackets. The baking cooks them and gives the potato skins a crunchy texture, which emulates the deep-frying without the fat, and works beautifully in the final dish. Perfect.

It’s Monday night, and it’s getting late, so here goes the recipe. Enjoy, everyone, and have a great week!
051308kolata0064
Kashmiri Dum Aloo

10-15 baby potatoes (If you can’t find these, use the smallest potatoes you can find, and halve or quarter them. Then follow the rest of the recipe instructions). If using whole baby potatoes, poke them all over with a fork.

Mix 2 tsp of canola oil + 1/4 tsp red chilli powder + 1/4 tsp turmeric + salt to taste and toss the potatoes in the mixture. Place in a 400-degree oven and roast 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. (Pierce with a fork to test).

1 cup coconut milk

For the masala, grind together using just enough water to keep the blades moving:

1 tbsp garam masala

1 tbsp coriander powder

15-20 almonds, soaked for about half an hour

1 tbsp grated ginger

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp red chilli powder

1/2 tsp sugar

Other ingredients:

1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil

1/2 chopped mint or coriander for garnish

1 tbsp lemon juice

Heat the oil in a saucepan.

Add the ground masala and stir for a couple of minutes.

Add half the coconut milk and then the potatoes.

Once the sauce starts to bubble, turn the heat to the lowest setting and place a tight-fitting lid over the saucepan. Let cook 20 minutes. Add some water if the sauce dries up.

Add the remaining coconut milk, more salt if needed, and the mint/coriander leaves. Stir well and turn off the heat.

Serve hot with chapatis or with whole-wheat puris, as I did. This also pairs really well with some South Indian Coconut Rice.

21 thoughts on “Kashmiri Dum Aloo

Pavani

May 12, 2009 at 2:02am

Creamy and delicious looking aloo dish. Love the addition of almonds, will try this soon. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

anudivya

May 12, 2009 at 2:31am

When I saw the pic first, I thought the potatoes were fried… then I realised you roasted them in the oven. The skin looks so crispy and perfect.

Gita's Kitchen

May 12, 2009 at 2:42am

Wow, thats a creamy and delicious dum aloo…I love the way you have oven fried the potatoes instead of deep fyring them…I should try these soon :)

Indhu

May 12, 2009 at 3:02am

aahaa… yummy dish… love the gravy base of coconut milk and lemon juice :)

Sharmila

May 12, 2009 at 3:55am

Way to go Vaishali … I was wondering about that curd thing too … coconut milk … too good! And the roasted potatoes have the perfect colour ! :-)
    You have a great week too! :-)

Mints!

May 12, 2009 at 6:33am

I love dum aaloo but don’t make it as it involvs deep frying. But I like your take on it, keeping the skin and baking. And I am sure coconut milk and almonds give richness and the creaminess.
    I will sure make this soon as I am getting nice yellow baby potatoes in my CSA bag soon.

May 12, 2009 at 8:10am

Rich, creamy and delicious DUm Aloo Vaishali, looks really fabulous!

Shreya

May 12, 2009 at 10:37am

Love the rich creamy texture as seen in the picture. Adding coconut milk is a great idea, and this recipe is perfect for the health-conscious:-)Those puris look so non-oily and I love the oh!-so-perfect colour!

Ashwini

May 12, 2009 at 2:29pm

Wow, Gravy looks so creamy and delicious. Love anything with coconut milk and aloo. Looks so tempting with pooris. Yummmmm

May 12, 2009 at 3:14pm

the curry looks fabulous! I wish I could come over :(

Bex

May 12, 2009 at 4:29pm

yet another wonderful looking dish I will have to make

Ashwini

May 12, 2009 at 5:33pm

creamy sauce with baby potatoes..looks delicious…

Kalai

May 12, 2009 at 8:23pm

rich and Creamy gravy,pic makes me to drool.

Cham

May 13, 2009 at 3:50am

Did the roasting spud gives such a glorious look! It is splendid ur dish :)

jodye

May 13, 2009 at 4:18am

This looks delicious, such a wonderful color! I love your coconut milk idea, I think anything is better with coconut milk!

Vegan Magic

March 2, 2012 at 12:57pm

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe Vaishali. I made it several times with regular potatoes and recently with whole baby potatoes. The coconut gravy is simply amazing!

Krupa

May 10, 2013 at 2:25am

Thanks Vaishali for the brilliant idea..I tried my recipe with coconut milk and it turned out amazing!!!! So glad I looked at your site before experimenting on my own.

Anonymous

July 21, 2013 at 12:52am

Vaishali,

If I want to make this sauce for Cauliflower, do you suggest roasting in the oven? How should I proceed?

Thanks