Tofu Patia: Reinventing A Regional Classic

It was a sultry summer’s day in Bombay when Desi and I went to the courthouse to apply for our marriage license. After a long wait in the line (yes, many other couples had the same idea), we were tired and hungry and stopped for lunch at a small but charming restaurant nearby.

It was the first time I ate Patia (paa-tee-yaa), a dish that’s usually made with prawns (a shrimp-like shellfish).

The next day, I was sick as a dog. The prawns, I knew, were responsible, but it was too late. I was already in love with this delicious dish with its sweet, sour and spicy flavors. So instead of risking my stomach at that restaurant again, I learned to cook it myself. And once I did, I couldn’t stop making it.

After turning vegan, I have been trying to recreate versions of my favorite meat and seafood dishes with vegan substitutes. The dish I want to share today, Tofu Patia, is a perfect example of how it is very possible to veganize dishes where we often believe meat (or seafood) are absolutely indispensable.

Patia is a staple of the fascinating cuisine of the Parsi community of India.

Although they are a small drop in this billion-strong country’s melting pot of cultures, the Parsis– who are said to have migrated to India from Persia 1,000 years ago– are also among its most interesting residents. They are often described in cliches: super-rich, inscrutable, tight-knit, eccentric…there’s some truth in all of that. Over the years I have met and made many wonderful Parsi friends, but my memory is dominated by a willowy, green-eyed, brown-haired friend named Lyla who once went to a really seedy strip club in South Bombay because, she said, how else would she know what goes on in there? For company, she took her aging mother and aunt.

The next day she related, deadpan, a colorful account of the dancers, exactly what they did, the audience, and their reaction.

Parsi cuisine is just as delightful, and extremely delicious, but it is not something I’ve ever seen in Indian restaurants here, partly because the restaurants here are predominantly run by North Indians, and in some cases South Indians, who largely serve cuisine from their part of the country.

But Indian regional cuisine varies greatly from state to state and sometimes even within different communities in a single state. Parsis first settled in Gujarat, a state in west India, and their food is an amalgamation of Gujarati cuisine and their Persian roots.

Like other dishes served by Parsis, Patia sparkles with vibrant flavors. There’s the sour note added by tomatoes and lemon, the sweetness of coconut milk and jaggery (an unrefined Indian sugar), and the spiciness of red chilli powder.

Given all these rich flavors, I was pretty certain that I wouldn’t miss the prawns in a vegan version. But because I wanted to throw in some protein muscle, I added some marinated, baked tofu.

I was really thrilled with the result. My vegan patia had the same flavors as the seafood version (minus the fishy smell– now who would miss that?), and the tofu, baked to slight chewiness but creamy in the center, was just perfect.

I can’t wait to share it with you. Enjoy, folks!

Tofu Patia

1 block extra-firm tofu. Swaddle in paper napkins or in cheesecloth, place in a colander, and place something heavy on top, like a cast-iron pan. Let the water drain out of the tofu for at least an hour.

Now stand the tofu on the side and slice so you have two slices of the same width as the whole block but only half the thickness.

In a baking pan large enough to hold the two slices of tofu side by side, mix 1 tsp vegetable oil + 1/4 tsp turmeric + 1/2 tsp red chilli powder + salt to taste.

Place the tofu in the pan and turn over to coat with the turmeric-chilli-oil mixture.

Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes until slightly chewy on the outside but creamy on the inside.

Place in a blender and blend:

1 cup coconut milk

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tbsp grated ginger

2 dry red chillies

In a skillet or saucepan, heat 1/2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil

Add 1 large onion, finely diced

Saute, stirring frequently, until browned.

Add:

1 tbsp coriander powder

1 tsp cumin powder

1/4 tsp turmeric powder

Stir for a minute and then add the coconut milk mixture. Cook on a slow flame about five minutes.

Cut each slice of the baked tofu into four long strips, and then cut each strip into four pieces to get a dice of about 1/2 inch.

Add to the saucepan and stir in.

Add 3 diced tomatoes, cover, and cook until the tomatoes are fairly soft.

Add 1 tbsp jaggery (can substitute with sugar) and juice of 1 lemon. Check salt.

Garnish with some chopped mint or coriander.

I love tofu patia with plain boiled rice, but I am sure a good bread would taste great dunked into this too.

For other animal-free favorites, check out my vegan “Beef” Stew, and my “Lamb” Curry.

29 thoughts on “Tofu Patia: Reinventing A Regional Classic

Gita's Kitchen

May 28, 2009 at 11:48pm

It looks very colorful and delicious…love your idea of using tofu for Indian dishes! I have bookmarked this recipe to try it this weekend, thanks Vaishali :)

Dips

May 29, 2009 at 12:47am

Looks great ..will try soon..and instead of bookmarking every recipe that you post, Im going to add you to my blogroll :) my first…
    Great recipes all !!

G3

May 29, 2009 at 1:23am

Looks mouth watering, V. Can’t wait to try it out!!

Mints!

May 29, 2009 at 2:20am

Parsis food is my favorite. A friend of mine made vegan/vegetarian versions for me often enough for me not to cook them. Now that she has moved far away, I have been searching for good recipes. Yours look really tempting. I will try it this weekend.

i have parsi b-i-l and fits the description too well ;)

Cham

May 29, 2009 at 2:46am

Parsi dish never tasted I imagine the taste with shrimp. Delectable vegan dish!

Pavithra

May 29, 2009 at 3:36am

Its looking SO good and inviting.. color is really tempting me. I wish to taste it ..

Curry Leaf

May 29, 2009 at 4:31am

I love it Vaishali.Absolutely stunning.I have been wanting to try Parsi recipes,but was not sure how they may taste vegan THANKS for trying it out.It surely inspires me to try Parsi recipes.

anudivya

May 29, 2009 at 4:47am

Looks vibrant and healthy. Vaishali, there is a noticeable change in your pictures today, or is it just me? Looks lovelier than it normally is.

May 29, 2009 at 7:08am

I never tried or tasted Parsi dishes, this Patia looks very colourful and love ur idea of making out seafood dishes as vegan…Keep on rocking Vaishali!

Aparna

May 29, 2009 at 8:03am

While I am a little familiar with some Parsi dishes, this one is new to me.
    This should make a good “curry” for chappathis.

Parita

May 29, 2009 at 8:17am

Wow tofu patia looks mouth watering..i have recently started using tofu and absolutely love it..will try this soon:)

Sharmila

May 29, 2009 at 9:31am

I love anything in coconut milk … this is such a nice vegan version. :-)

May 29, 2009 at 1:15pm

I have not had many Parsi dishes, but have loved everything I tried until now. I like the combination of spices that they use. Though its the same stuff, it makes a huge difference in taste. This one looks delicious and I have everything needed to have a yummy dinner tonight :-) Have a lovely weekend.

Pavani

May 29, 2009 at 1:53pm

Parsi dishes have such a wonderful blend of flavors. This dish looks delicious, will try. Have a wodnerful weekend Vaishali.

Cilantro

May 29, 2009 at 4:04pm

It is always good to know people with different cultures and we get to learn a lot from them. I have met few people from the Parsi community in Hyderabad.They are a close knit community and hard working too.

Love the recipe, I have tofu with me and will try it out soon.

Shreya

May 29, 2009 at 4:26pm

Hi Vaishali, I live in Mumbai now, but I don’t think I would have ever known of Patia without this post! Thanks so much for all the info, and it really is grt that you experiment with vegan substitutes. I love this recipe, especially the blend with the coconut milk, and will try this with tofu. Is jaggery added to reduce the bitterness of tofu(if any?), because somehow I feel it would add sweetness to the sweet flavour of coconut milk that has been spiced up and the tangy tomatoes and lemon juice

• Permalink  ⋅ Reply

Vaishali Honawar

June 14, 2013 at 9:12pm

Hi Shreya, no, the tofu isn’t bitter in this dish. The jaggery is an ingredient in the original recipe.

Ashwini

May 29, 2009 at 5:40pm

looks perfect…i tried ur dads mutton/mushroom curry..tasted so good..my hubby loved it…thanks for the recipe…

Uma

May 29, 2009 at 9:46pm

mmm. this is a delicious dish Vaishali! Looks sooo tempting :)

Red Chillies

May 31, 2009 at 10:37pm

LOL, so she took her agining mom and aunt to the strip club as well eh? Wonder what they had to say :-))
    very colorful dish minus the seafood (who would miss that smell, as you said)

Madhuram

June 1, 2009 at 6:01pm

Anything with tofu is a big hit in my place. I’m sure we will love this one too Vaishali. Can’t wait to try it.

Fareeda

June 6, 2011 at 5:57pm

I made this recipe yesterday. It was fabulous.

Thanks

Mala

December 1, 2013 at 8:56pm

Hi Vaishali,

Love your blog. I just made this recipe and it tastes awesome!
    I have tried your mango cup cake and many other recipes and they never fail. This feedback was long overdue but better late than never :-)

• Permalink  ⋅ Reply

December 2, 2013 at 12:27am

Mala, so happy you liked this and other recipes, and thanks for your kind words!