Tried & Tasted: FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Tried & Tasted, the popular event started by Zuzana of Zlamushka’s Spicy Kitchen, makes a May-long stop right here at Holy Cow! And this month’s blog is, drumroll please, the FatFree Vegan Kitchen!

For anyone that’s not familiar with Tried & Tasted, this is a thoughtful event meant to appreciate the work other bloggers are doing. In Zuzana’s own words, it’s an opportunity to thank your fellow bloggers for sharing their recipes by re-creating them and writing about your experiences.

It’s easy to celebrate the FatFree Vegan Kitchen. This is a legendary blog that just about anyone who’s ever googled up a recipe has to be familiar with. The woman behind it, Susan, is an inspiration to cooks of all tastes and cooking preferences, but among vegans she and her blog have a following that can only be called, for the lack of a better term, cult-like.

Her recipes — and there are hundreds of them — are not just healthy, environmentally friendly and cruelty free, but they all look so good, they make you want to rush into the kitchen and start cooking.

And that’s exactly what I hope all of you will do beginning now. You have 31 days. Keep the following guidelines in mind as you cook and post your recipes:

– Pick up any recipe(s) from the FatFree Vegan Kitchen but stay as true to the original recipe as possible– in this case, it also means you keep the recipe vegan, so do not substitute anything in here with a product that originated from an animal, including dairy products, honey and gelatine.

–Link back to Susan’s original recipe post.

–Link your post to this event announcement, and to the original post at Zlamushka’s Spicy Kitchen. Feel free to use the logo.

–Send me an email at myveganworld@gmail.com with your name, your post URL and a picture of any size.

–The deadline is May 31 and I will try to post the roundup within a week.

Non-bloggers are also welcome to send in their recipes, with a picture.

Simple enough. So get cooking, guys, and have a fun-filled FatFree experience!

I am giving my recurring event, It’s A Vegan World, a break this month because, let’s face it, I am not Superwoman. Besides, hosting two events in a single month would possibly daunt even her, I’d say. Well, at least a little bit.

It’s A Vegan World just had a great month at Priya’s blog Akshayapaatram, and next month it will move to Lavi’s blog, Home Cook’s Recipes, so keep an eye out for it. We still have a lot of world to cover.

Bye now, and enjoy!

22 thoughts on “Tried & Tasted: FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Pavani

May 1, 2009 at 8:11pm

Susan’s blos is like an encyclopedia with so many recipes to choose from. Will definitely send some for the event. Happy Hosting.

Uma

May 1, 2009 at 9:17pm

Nice choice for T & T. Will check her blog for some recipes. Happy Hosting Vaishali!

May 1, 2009 at 10:38pm

Will check definitely her space..Nice choice Vaishali

bee

May 1, 2009 at 11:09pm

one of my fav blogs. i have some already posted recipes from there. may i post a link and resubmit them?

SusanV

May 1, 2009 at 11:33pm

Thank you so much for the kind words and for hosting this event. I’m looking forward to seeing what everybody has to say about my recipes!

Curry Leaf

May 2, 2009 at 1:36am

I was waiting for this Vaishali.Will surely send something.Happy Hosting

zlamushka

May 2, 2009 at 5:27am

Hi Vaishali,

Fantastic post, thanks. Cannot wait to see posts comming :-)

Dibs

May 2, 2009 at 11:45am

Wow the link list under this post is already so exciting! Look forward to the round up!

Sireesha

May 2, 2009 at 12:22pm

Nice choice.Will definitely send some for the event. Happy Hosting:)

May 2, 2009 at 12:36pm

Pavani, Uma, Priya: Looking forward to your entries!

Bee, Sure go ahead and send them in.

Susan, Thanks for agreeing to be tried and tasted. I for one am really looking forward to cooking from your blog!

Curry- Waiting for your entry, lady!

Zlamushka, Thanks for letting me host your lovely event!

Kitchen Flavors, Dibs, Sireesha: Would love to see what you cook up from Susan’s blog.

Red Chillies

May 2, 2009 at 2:09pm

I love love Susan’s blog. God knows how many recipes i have bookmarked from her blog. This is a great choice, Vishali.

snugglebunny

May 3, 2009 at 6:01pm

I would like to do this but I do have one question. Since I am unable to use soy milk, tofu, or tempeh (soy intolerant) may I make some minor changes to a recipe (such as coconut milk yogurt for soy yogurt) or should I just pick a soy free recipe?

May 3, 2009 at 8:12pm

RC: looking forward to your post.

Snugglebunny: Feel free to substitute the soy– the only guideline is that whatever you use should not be an animal product. Coconut milk yogurt — where do you get that?– sounds fine. I often substitute almond milk for soy milk or you can also use rice milk. And you can, of course, just pick a soy-free recipe.

Suzanne

May 5, 2009 at 12:40pm

Hi, I just came over from Fat Free Vegan and wanted to tell you that I LOVE your blog – Especially the dog stories. ALthough sitting at my desk at work and trying not to cry, probably not the smartest thing. :-) I’ll read more later.

Thanks!

May 6, 2009 at 2:42pm

Suzanne, Thanks for your kind words. Those doggie posts are my favorites too :)

Andrea

May 11, 2009 at 3:57am

Just sent you my post. Looking forward to seeing the round-up, and to trying some of your recipes!

Zabeena

May 14, 2009 at 12:19pm

Dear Vaishali,

I would like to participate, but I have one question: my blog is not vegan, would that be a problem? I subscribe to a number of vegan blogs because I’m trying to introduce my carnivorous men to more healthy food (and break down their prejudices), so I am always on the lookout for delicious veggie-based recipes. Vegan cuisine interests me particularly because my husband is a heart patient and should really cut down on all those foods which do not feature in vegan recipes! It goes without saying that I would not substitute anything in the recipe I choose with anything non-vegan.

Parita

May 18, 2009 at 3:47pm

Just sent my entry…thanks for choosing such a lovely blog :)

Dips

May 27, 2009 at 1:44am

Just mailed you my entry…sorry for the stupid question..but how do I link to this post so that it appears in the list ?

Nikki Barr

May 26, 2012 at 2:40am

The link to Zlamushka’s Spicy Kitchen doesn’t take you back to the post anymore–looks like the site is currently not live. Is there another link we should use?