Something Sweet And Something Spicy: Treats From Other Blogs

As satisfying as it is to come up with a recipe and then blog about it, it can sometimes be almost as delicious to let someone else do all the hard work for you.

So this week, I tried out two recipes from other blogs that I had been eying for a while. Suganya’s Carrot Halwa-Flavored Muffins and Pavithra’s Turnip Greens Curry.

Suganya’s Carrot Halwa Muffins

The minute I saw this recipe, I wanted to make it. Carrot Halwa is one of my favorite dishes, and cardamom is just about my favorite spice in the world. I often flavor sweets, including muffins, with cardamom, such as in my Applesauce Mini Muffins, but the combination of cardamom and carrots was hard to resist.

I followed Suganya’s instructions faithfully, except that I subbed half the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat to make them even healthier. I also did not add raisins because I didn’t want them to be any sweeter, but the muffins turned out just delicious even without them. These muffins do not rise much, but maybe the fact that I used some whole-wheat flour had something to do with that.

These were a real treat– in fact they were almost cupcakey with the distinct flavor of gajar halwa, thanks to the cardamom. And the fact that they had carrots and pineapple in them made them fairly guilt-free. Despite all of Desi and my resolutions to cut down on sweets, these didn’t last too long in our kitchen.
Pavithra’s Turnip Greens Curry:

I picked up a huge bunch of turnip greens at the grocery store this week because they were on sale. I have never tried turnip greens before, so I was also a little curious about them.

I wanted an Indian recipe, preferably a curry, to serve these up on a weeknight. And when I came across Pavithra’s post, it hit the spot.

I used small lima beans in the curry rather than the rajma, only because I didn’t have any rajma on hand. Otherwise I was faithful to Pavithra’s recipe, and I’m glad I was, because it was an absolute winner.

The turnip greens cooked up light and flavorful and delicious, and the spicy-sour flavor of the curry paired beautifully with just some boiled rice.

I have not posted the recipes because I barely deviated from them, but you can find them here and here.

Thanks, Suganya and Pavithra, for your delicious and inspiring cooking. Toques off!

14 thoughts on “Something Sweet And Something Spicy: Treats From Other Blogs

Gita

June 5, 2009 at 2:03am

Lovely photos…both the dishes look delicious :)

Pooja

June 5, 2009 at 2:38am

Wow carrot halwa muffins look gorgeous! And so is the curry!

Uma

June 5, 2009 at 5:36am

those are definitely some tempting dishes. both of them look so yummy!

June 5, 2009 at 7:15am

Awesome clicks, feel like having both dishes together!!!

Prathibha

June 5, 2009 at 9:37am

Those muffins look really good..Feeling like grabbing from there!!

Parita

June 5, 2009 at 10:19am

Both the dishes look mouth watering..i have to try turnip curry soon :)

Paulina

June 5, 2009 at 1:13pm

I’ve never had carrot halwa before, but I’ve almost made it on several occasions. You use green cardamom, right?

FoodShoutOut

June 5, 2009 at 1:47pm

You have some great recipes on your site and it would be great if you could share them at FoodShoutOut.com
    FoodShoutOut.com is a place for people to discover and share great indian recipes from anywhere on the web. From the biggest online destinations to the most obscure blog, FoodShoutOut.com surfaces the best stuff as voted on by users.

Pavithra

June 5, 2009 at 2:09pm

wow innovative carrot halwa muffin interesting recipe vishali..will try this soon and turnip green curry looking yummy too

Pavithra Kodical

June 5, 2009 at 2:30pm

Thank you Vaishali for trying out one of my recipe.I am glad your family liked this :) My husband loves leafy vegetables so i pick them up every week.I will try using lima beans next time.Muffins looks yummy.

Joselle

June 5, 2009 at 9:38pm

My boyfriend send me a link to your blog, saying I’d love it. He was absolutely right. I’m so glad I’ve found your site. I gave you a shout out on my blog.

anudivya

June 5, 2009 at 10:51pm

Nice Vaishali, cooking from other blogs is so much fun too! Nicely done.