Peach and Berry Cobbler

This might sound strange to many, but much as I love my veggies, I am not a huge fan of eating fruit. At least by itself.

Of course, there are exceptions. I can eat Indian mangoes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and any time in between. As a child, a chocolate-brown fruit, chikoo, which is not available here in the United States but which has the most deliciously sweet flavor, used to be one of my favorite snacks. And there’s nothing more satisfying than an orange after lunch.

But when it comes to apples, bananas and even some berries…I usually try to get the uncomplaining Desi to go through everything I buy because I could very easily leave them alone.

With fruit-based desserts, though, that’s another story altogether. I love pies, fruit-based muffins and breads, tarts and what have you. So this past week, when I found my refrigerator packed with more fruit than Desi could handle, I decided to cook up a cobbler.

A cobbler is not unlike a pie, except that it doesn’t have a bottom crust and is, in some ways, a much simpler dessert to bake. You don’t need the perfection of pie here– all you do is mix up the fruit with some sugar, slap on the crust, and let everything bake to perfection.

Although I call this a dessert, you could very well have this cobbler for breakfast– all that fruit makes it healthy enough, and the sweetness makes it indulgent enough.

I made the crust more decorative than usual by cutting it up into discs with a biscuit cutter and then shingling them on top of the fruit. If you’d like to avoid the trouble, feel free to just roll out the crust, lay it on top of the fruit, and make a few slits in it.

Enjoy, all!

Peach and Berry Cobbler

For the crust:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

4 tbsp trans-fat-free vegetable shortening like Crisco

1/4 tsp salt

3 tbsp sugar

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry-cutter or fork until it breaks down into pea-sized pieces.

Drizzle in ice-cold water (1/2 to 3/4 cup), rapidly stirring with a fork, until the dough comes together. Roll into a ball, flatten to a disc, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least half an hour.

For the filling:

5 medium peaches, halved, pitted, and then each half cut into five slices

2 cups blueberries

1 cup strawberries, quartered

3/4 cup sugar (use more or less depending on how sweet or tart your fruit is)

3 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca starch

Zest of one lemon

Mix together all the ingredients and pour into an 8 X 8 glass baking dish.

Roll out the crust to about 1/8th of an inch in thickness. With a biscuit cutter, cut out round discs. You can roll up the remaining dough and cut more discs until all the dough is used up.

Now shingle the biscuits on top of the fruit in a decorative pattern.

Brush the tops with some soymilk.

Bake in a 350-degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden-brown.

Let stand on a rack at least 15 minutes before serving.

17 thoughts on “Peach and Berry Cobbler

Pavani

July 14, 2009 at 3:46pm

Delicious looking cobbler and great job on the shingling ;-)

Laavanya

July 14, 2009 at 3:55pm

Wow.. how luscious that looks – absolutely tempting.

Jaya Wagle

July 14, 2009 at 4:16pm

I love fruits and fruit desserts. Your cobbler remided me of the one I made after coming to the US. My friend Erin taught me how to make a rhubarb cobler and I have made it so many times since then.
    And you are right it is declicious. We eat it with ice cream for an extra boost of calories. :)

Ann

July 14, 2009 at 5:11pm

Fruit savvy too..and you made me nostalgic with the mention of chikkoos..it was my fav too during childhood.even now i love to have though..and your cobbler looks splendid…

Priya Narasimhan

July 14, 2009 at 5:56pm

Nice dessert Vaishali.. I neither get peach nor berries here. But have tried something similar to this using apples..

Pavithra

July 14, 2009 at 8:54pm

Wow what a lovely dessert… that is really tempting vaishali

Susan

July 14, 2009 at 9:19pm

I vote breakfast! Lovely. You never miss the butter with a cobbler.

bindiya

July 15, 2009 at 4:01am

love this Vaishali, you got me craving some right now!

Curry Leaf

July 15, 2009 at 12:22pm

Delicious,.Loe the way you shingled the crust.Beautifful and perfect

caribbeanvegan

July 15, 2009 at 1:03pm

This cobbler is very beautiful. I would make it but I avoid using too many imported fruits and use fruits that grow around me for now. I loved your second article on simplicity. It is strange how we see our changes be4 our eyes. I rarely buy clothes now even if I like to have a big wardrobe and I just get one thing every couple of months. I try to consume less in every way. I am not familiar with the indian mango. Does it have alot of fibre inside. I know the skins are more yellow than the mangoes in the Caribbean.

July 16, 2009 at 1:37am

Pavani, Laavanya, thanks!

Jaya :) Ice cream and cobbler are a very natural pairing. I usually leave it out because of the calories, but I admit they do taste great together.

Ann, Priya, Pavithra, thanks!

Susan, you sure don’t!

Bindiya, Veggiebelly, Curry: Thanks!

Caribbeanvegan, thanks for sharing your thoughts on simplicity. The great thing about cobbler is, you can try it with all sorts of fruits.
    About the Indian mango, the variety I love is the Alphonso which has a bright-orange color and a velvety texture. It is smooth and creamy and not at all fibrous like some mangoes we get here. Just writing about it makes my mouth water! :)

Parita

July 20, 2009 at 12:45pm

Delicious cobbler, nice combination of peaches and berries, perfect summer cobbler!

Anjan

November 7, 2009 at 10:03pm

how do you roll dough to an eighth of an inch?

November 27, 2009 at 4:28pm

Anjan, you roll the dough to an eight of an inch thickness. Not sure what’s confusing you.

November 27, 2009 at 7:33pm

Anjan, I’ve changed it– thanks for pointing out!