Peach Jam

Where did the summer go?

This morning, temps were in the 60s when I woke up– a big change from the 80-plus-degree mornings we have had these past few weeks in the Northeast. It’s refreshing but oddly odd, as the changing of seasons tends to always be, no matter how often we go through the process.

I love and hate each season, as I do summer, but there’s one huge reason why I wait for it to come around each year more than I do any other season: the abundance of fresh vegetables and fruits which open so many delicious possibilities for a vegan cook. And when summer inevitably begins to wind down, I can’t help but feel a little wistful and sad, as if a dear friend were saying a long goodbye.

This summer, I did something I hadn’t done regularly in the past: I made preserves. Whenever I could find fruit at great prices, I picked up an armful and cooked up homemade jams and jellies. Strawberry, peach, blueberry…trust me, they tasted better than anything I’ve bought in a jar off a shelf. What’s even better: I knew exactly what was in each of them.

Today, I wanted to share my peach jam recipe. This recipe is just enough to fill about one jar or so. Right now, new as I am at this, I don’t want to be bothered with all the sterilizing and canning and whatnot that usually goes with making preserves that can be preserved for weeks and months… Well, maybe next year.

Here’s the recipe. Enjoy, all!

Peach Jam

Ingredients:

4 perfectly ripe peaches. Cut a cross just through the skin on the bottom of each peach (not the side that attaches to the stem) and place them in boiling water for a minute. Remove, dunk in cold water to stop the cooking, cool. You can now easily peel the peach by pulling at the skin where you made the cut. Cut the peach in half, remove the pit, then chop the peach into a fine dice.

1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (I add sugar a little at a time because there’s no telling how sweet the peaches will be. So play it by ear.)

1 1-inch stick of cinnamon

Place all the ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pan. Stir and crush the peaches with a potato masher. If you want a really smooth consistency, process the peaches first in a food processor until they are almost a puree.

Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir with a ladle and crush the peaches down with the potato masher as they cook. Allow the jam to cook about 30 minutes or until it is quite thick.

Cool and refrigerate in an air-tight jar. This usually lasts me at least 2-3 weeks. If you are making larger quantities, be sure to follow instructions for canning to keep your jam from spoiling.

Comments

1. says

oh don’t talk of summer going away! I still have so much to do:-) i am not looking forward to the dark early mornings.

I haven’t made a peach jam, or a plum one yet..so lovely..

2. says

Peach jam looks delish. I made man go-raspberry jam & ur blueberry preserves this summer. Since I made about 2-3 jars of each, I follow DK’s canning 101 instructions to the T and all my jams are still doing well in the fridge. I’m going to try this peach jam too..

3. says

What a coincidence! My blog entry today is also Peach Jam! Yours definitely sounded better! Perhaps, I’ll attempt that recipe once I finish the ones I have! =)

Btw, I’ve added the the back links to the 2 recipes I shared with you for Malaysian Vegan food! =)

4. says

Never try my hand into preparing jam at home. Your peach jam looks so lovely. Shud try someday.
    Vaishali, I read your post (at least 2-3 times) on cast iron pan (Baighan Bhartha) which is really helpful and informative. I already have bookmarked. Thanks for sharing.:)

Sonu (sevenspice.wordpress.com)

5. says

Thats a valuable preserve..
    just to tell you that i made frech bread I bookmarked from here..turned out superb..had a yummy breakfast along with chole..desi and french..lol..not a prob right ?

6. says

I made plum jam … never tried making with peaches though. But ever since I tried out your strawberry compote am hooked. This one is in line now. :-)

7. says

As Soma said, pls dont talk about Summer not there…I hate the depressing winter mornings and dark evenings @4.It gets harder to go to work!Delicious Peach Jam!BTW, sent in the entry for IAVW!

8. says

Wow that jam looks delicious in all ways…much better than the store-bought ones I have…I have to try my hand on jams before summer is over :)

9. says

Soma, Priya, Sireesha, Pavani, Thanks!

Simply June: Yours sounds great. Thanks for adding the links.

Sonu, welcome, and glad the cast-iron-pan post was helpful.

Pavithra, thanks!

Ann, chole with French bread sounds perfect. Glad you liked the bread.

Sharmila, thanks, and hope you try it!

Shri, thanks, and thanks also for the entry!

Gita, you’re right– they’re definitely superior to the store-bought ones. :)

10. says

The peach jam looks gorgeous ! I can’t believe how soon the summer seems to be ending before you know it,it will be time to take out the heavy jackets…..

11. says

This looks great excellent job on the jam. I make jam sometimes and I do not sterilize either as we eat most of it in a week or so.I found a recipe for the Malay month and I will try to make it soon. I cannot believe this month went by so quickly…geez.