10 Honest Things About Me

I chat with you so often about so much, I was a little at a loss when lovely and talented bloggers Stephanie of Peace, Love and Cooking and Shri of Tasty Touch gave me the Honest Scrap award which calls on me to list 10 honest things about myself. What could I say that you hadn’t heard before?

Besides, I really don’t spend a lot of time analyzing myself. I am…just me. So I thought about it a lot and finally came up with something I thought I could share. Read it if you care. If not, wait for my next recipe. I won’t be long! :)

1. I try not to attach too much value to the material things in my life. I don’t ever want to be someone who absolutely cannot live without some thing.

2. For as far back as I can remember into my childhood, I’ve never bought into religions and into any of the many “isms” created to separate us from each other.

3. I have friends of every stripe– my friends don’t have to think like me or agree with me on anything at all and I am always open to a good argument and to revising my opinion when someone makes a good point. But I refuse to put up with intolerance, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Oh, and I can’t stand suck-ups either: I once had a colleague who, on his first day at work, went around jotting down the bosses’ favorite baked goods in a notebook so he could make it for them.

4. Although I lead a pretty active lifestyle, I love nothing more than to do nothing. I live for those moments when I can sit back and take time out from every chore and responsibility. Call me lazy!

5. I pay a lot of attention to making the foods I cook nutritious and I do love to preach the value of eating healthy (as you well know :)), but I am an inveterate snacker. If left to my own devices, I’d snack my way through breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between on cookies, chips, cake and just about anything other than what I should be eating. Desi, who is a saint around snacks, has been trying to get me to see the light for many years now, but he’s not succeeded yet– at least not completely!

6. I am easygoing around housework. There’s a tile I bought in Delft that hangs in my foyer and reads, very aptly: “This house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy.” Enough said.

7. I think the saddest sight in the world is a caged bird. How people who claim to love birds can put them in a cage is something I will never understand.

8. I have a quick temper and sometimes it gets the better of me. It is perhaps the quality in myself that I most dislike and that I work hard to control. But I also cool down in an instant and I make an effort to own up to my mistakes.

9. I long for a world where there will be no zoos, circuses, aquariums and petting zoos.

10. I don’t like making small talk — in fact, I hate it.

So here they are, 10 honest facts about myself and 10 things more than I really wanted to reveal :)

Many thanks also to the kind Preeti of Preeti’s Relishing Recipes who has passed on the following awards to me.

I, in turn, will pass on these delicious awards to every food blogger out there– to all of you who so generously share your amazing recipes with the rest of us. Kudos to you!

And have a great weekend, all!

13 thoughts on “10 Honest Things About Me

TBC

September 18, 2009 at 8:31pm

I cared enough to read, Vaishali.:D

And now, we know you a little better.

You grew up in Andheri? Saw that in one of your earlier posts. Where exactly did you live? Not that it matters now, but I’m just curious. I did too, and continued to live there (Andheri East) for a very long time.

BTW, I made your kootu with zucchini and coconut milk yesterday. It was very nice. Thank you. I would never have thought of adding coconut milk to my kootu or using zucchini as a vegetable for it had I not come across your recipe.:)

Anonymous

September 18, 2009 at 9:54pm

Care to add hunters to #9?

Jaya Wagle

September 18, 2009 at 11:34pm

I read the whole thing too and may I say sometimes I enjoy your prelude more than the recipe, no offense to your recipes :). They are all yummy and the attention that you pay to cook them comes across.
    I have to say ditto on 2,3, 6 and 7. I have a small sign on my doorknob that reads “Come on in, sit and relax. Our house doesn’t always look like this.. sometimes it is worse.”
    To TCB and you, I too lived in Andheri (W) for over four years, as a single girl, first with my cousin and then in a hostel on Char Rasta.

September 19, 2009 at 1:51am

Hi TBC, I grew up in Andheri West– D.N.Nagar. Where in Andheri east were you?
    Glad you tried the kootu– reminds me I still have some zucchini waiting in my fridge to be used up :)

Anonymous: vegan blog– hunting…goes without saying :)

Jaya, good to know you were in Andheri too. The last time I saw it, it was buzzing and the traffic was unbearable. But when I was growing up there it was almost a sleepy suburb of the big city. Good old days :)

LK

September 19, 2009 at 3:24am

It’s great to learn more about other people in the food blogging world. Thanks for your honesty. We enjoy your food alot!

Sharmila

September 19, 2009 at 3:39am

Great knowing you Vaishali. Am with you on #10. :-)
    Congrats on the awards!

Shri

September 19, 2009 at 4:08am

It was one of my fav reads on honest scraps..Honestly!!:D Was great to know abt you!

Gita

September 19, 2009 at 2:27pm

It was nice knowing more about you Vaishali…I guess I too have to get that tile …these days I am crazy about keeping the house clean…sort of OCD :(

Poornima Nair

September 19, 2009 at 10:10pm

Heyy…it was great reading all the 10 points. Could relate to so many of them. Love the words on the tile, apt for my home too:)

Zengirl

September 20, 2009 at 8:09am

Vaishali,

I care to read every thing here but first time commenting here. What I like about you and your blog is your honesty about how you feel about animals and birds. I too feel this way, but It was not always like that. Even though I am life long vegetarian, I never thought much about other living things until last few years, not only animals, bird, but also I am trying to care about insects, plants. It is tough at times, but it is getting better.

And ofcourse, your recipes and food pictures are great. Keep up the great work.

Stephanie

September 21, 2009 at 1:56am

Hi, Thanks for sharing…even more. It’s so nice to know you! :)
    Peace, Stephanie

Parita

September 21, 2009 at 2:44pm

U grew up in andheri west..D.N.Nagar? Wow I am from near lokhandwala..its a small world :)
    Loved reading about you, so honest!

Kissie

October 10, 2009 at 5:04am

I love every one of the ten. Thank you for sharing, I’m disappointed I missed your Atlanta visit….I think you were here. ;-)