Blast-Off-That-Cold Soup

Food can be delicious medicine, and what can be more comforting when you’re down and out than a bowl of hot soup?

I hate popping pills of any kind, so when I get mildly sick, I usually turn to my kitchen to see what I can find to heal myself. If it’s a cold, I’m lucky: I love nothing better than a cup of ginger tea: I just boil some water with a few slivers of ginger, add some black tea, strain it all, and then top it off with some soymilk. That, with an I Love Lucy rerun, is pure bliss.

When we were kids, my parents would make us some haldi ka doodh, or milk heated with cold-fighting spices and turmeric which is prized by cooks in India for its antiseptic properties. I make a version of it with soymilk and it is ultra-delicious.

When I have a cold, I also try to make quick soups so I can get all the comfort I need without standing around in the kitchen too long. My carrot-potato-celery soup is thick and velvety and just the perfect meal for those times when your head feels like it’s made of lead, like mine did these past few days. Best of all, it takes just a few minutes to put together, thanks to some help from the microwave.

I added to this soup some old housewives’ remedies proven to be great cold-busters: ginger, garlic and Vitamin C-rich foods like potato, celery and carrots as well as some sage which is one of my favorite herbs and also a proven cold-fighter. Ground black pepper and some cayenne to break through that congestion. And turmeric, of course.

Finally, for that extra dash of comfort, I topped off my soup with some homemade croutons.

So next time the cold bug bugs you, try this soup. Trust me, you’ll feel way better.

I did.

Velvety Carrot-Celery-Potato Soup

(Makes about 4 servings)

2 medium potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into a dice. Put the potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with either a microwave-safe dish or plastic wrap, and throw them into the microwave for five minutes.

2 medium carrots, cut into a small dice

2 stalks celery, also cut into a small dice

1 medium onion, minced

5 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 tbsp grated ginger

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp canola or olive oil

3-4 large sage leaves, minced very fine.

Water or vegetable stock, as needed

1/2 cup soymilk

Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions and saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they become translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the ginger and garlic and stir for another minute.

Add the carrots, celery, cayenne, turmeric and ground black pepper. Stir and saute another 2-3 minutes until the carrots begin to soften. Now add enough water or stock to cover the vegetables, bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer, covered, until the carrots are very tender, about 8-10 minutes.

Add the cooked potatoes (make sure they are tender) and stir in.

Now put all the vegetables and liquid into a blender and blend into a puree. You can make this very smooth, although I like mine just a little chunky. Be careful because the soup is very hot and you don’t want to burn yourself. (If you have a hand-blender, you can blend the veggies in the skillet itself. Lucky you.)

Pour the vegetable puree back into the skillet over medium heat, add the soymilk, and let everything warm through. Add salt to taste, then sage.

Remove from heat, top with croutons, and enjoy!

For the croutons, I just cube up any bread I have on hand, toss it with some salt and oil and sometimes a little garlic powder, and bung it into the toaster oven for about 5 minutes or until it gets that crunchy golden crust.
***
Finally, a picture of another lovely comfort-giver: my cat Pubm!

27 thoughts on “Blast-Off-That-Cold Soup

Soma

September 7, 2009 at 9:41pm

Very very comforting soup.I wish could just plant myself in the corner of the couch & have some & go to a perfect undisturbed sleep like your cute cat:)

Indhu

September 7, 2009 at 10:17pm

yummy soup… It is raining and is gloomy in Seattle… would love to have this soup now :)

hope you feel better!

Gita

September 7, 2009 at 10:23pm

This is definitely a cold buster soup…looks comforting too. Thanks for the information about IAVW. I have one doubt…my recipe is not a Malaysian recipe…can I send mine too?

sevenspice

September 7, 2009 at 11:24pm

Hope you feel better with a soup! :) A very nice recipe of soup. Will try someday even before I caught cold.;) Thanks for Croƻton recipe since I was looking for homemade one. :)
    I also posted Carrot-Capsicum-Celery soup in my blog…but it’s very different than yours.:)

Sonu

Uj

September 8, 2009 at 1:12am

Perfect recipe when down with cold..Bookmarked!

Sharmila

September 8, 2009 at 1:49am

Right Vaishali! Natural and healthy stuff anyday to pills. That does look like a comforting bowlful. :-)

Meera

September 8, 2009 at 2:54am

Soup looks delicious! I love those Lucy reruns too. and my parents made me drink that haldicha doodh too. I hated it!!

s

September 8, 2009 at 3:36am

soup looks yummy..i love soups hot and cold and i dont think i’ll wait to fall ill to have this one!

Pavithra

September 8, 2009 at 4:57am

Wow the soup i really love it.. yah nothing is better than warm soup.. looks yumm

Pari

September 8, 2009 at 5:02am

lovely soup and a perfect help for the trouble.

Rose

September 8, 2009 at 6:47am

The soup looks and, I’m sure is, delicious…this goes to show that nature really does have what our bodies need…and our bodies have really powerful disease-fighting mechinisms…give the body what it needs to work well…and forget the drugs…these actually work against our bodies…merely suppessing symptoms without helping the body. Thanks for the reminder that holistic health is the only true health…they call adverse physical reactions to prescription drugs “side effects”, but these are the effects of the drugs…unnatural and bad for your body. Give your body what it needs naturally, and limit what it doesn’t need (toxins) and your body will work for you as an amazing an wonderful feat of nature.

Happy cook

September 8, 2009 at 7:30am

My daughter is in love wiht you pubm.
    I too turn to soups when i have a cold.

Love the soup.

Miri

September 8, 2009 at 8:09am

At the start of a cold, I boil tulsi leaves, ginger, black pepper in water and drink the reduction with a spot of honey – most times I get better almost instantly.

That soup looks delicious – I love the colour that carrot and pumpkin impart to a soup!

The Voracious Vegan

September 8, 2009 at 9:51am

I love soups so much and this one sounds AMAZING! I don’t like taking medicine either, and you are right: food is so healing! Since going vegan, though, I don’t really get sick. But whenever I feel a bit groggy or worn down soup is always where I turn. Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try it!

Curry Leaf

September 8, 2009 at 10:46am

truly Comforting soup.I love potato soups but never tried ever tried sage.Perfect filling meal.Wish I could be like your cat.I can never sleep like this.Blissful

Kitchen Flavours

September 8, 2009 at 11:16am

Love the line….food can be the best medicine…….well said….soup looks yummylicious…

Ann

September 8, 2009 at 11:30am

Your soup called me ..ha,but the haldiwaala doodh seems perfect..I loved that idea..why dont you pen the recipe ? medicinal in real..Hey,I too love soup in such situations..looks perfect.

Gita

September 8, 2009 at 12:43pm

Thanks for sending me the IAVW link Vaishali…take care :)

vegan dinners

September 8, 2009 at 1:00pm

Hi Vaishali, I can feel the goodness of this soup just by reading the ingredients in it!

“No chicken” soup for the soul :)

Best wishes. Maria

Shri

September 8, 2009 at 1:45pm

Lovely soup,Vaishali!Such a comfort food!That is a cute cat:D How do you pronounce Pubm?

I have passed sn award/scrap to you..Pls collect it from my blog!

Parita

September 8, 2009 at 2:54pm

Very flavorful and comforting soup vaishali, i’ll def try this soup as i am too under cold :(

Preeti Kashyap

September 8, 2009 at 5:50pm

Food is truly the best medicine and comfort food. The soup looks delicious!Get well soon:)

Cham

September 8, 2009 at 6:46pm

I remember the turmeric milk! Thank god to those old homemade remedies! Soup reminds autumn!