It’s A Vegan World: Malaysian. The Roundup.

This past weekend I was at the amazing D.C. VegFest, an event celebrating cruelty-free living and the most delicious vegan food.

The place was buzzing with cooking demos and speakers like Rory Freedman of the fabulous Skinny Bitch books. Best of all, I made some great new friends like Marya and her beautiful, vibrant, smart-as-a-whip four-year-old who’s been raised as a vegan since birth.

Then there were the super vegan eats from designer cupcakes to sizzling Indian food to mouthwatering vegan pizzas. All of which really made me wonder why anyone in their right senses chooses to eat dairy-loaded desserts and oil-soaked pizzas piled high with dead animals. Hmm…

Meanwhile, we’ve had our own little celebration of compassionate eating going on here at Holy Cow! — It’s A Vegan World, an attempt to explore the vegan possibilities in global cuisine. And trust me, not since Christopher Columbus has anyone had an opportunity to do so much exploring.

This month’s theme is Indian food, but today I am here with the roundup of last month’s theme– Malaysian.

To all of you who participated– bravo and a ton of thanks! You proved that Malaysian food is not just diverse and delicious, but it can also be gloriously cruelty-free, and that’s no small feat. What’s more, you’ve helped create a great resource for compassionate cooks everywhere looking to explore new cuisines. There’s everything here to satisfy any craving for Malaysian food: from scrumptious satays to ravishing rices, incredible curries and delectable deserts.

For those who didn’t participate, not all’s lost– this month we’re featuring Indian vegan cuisine which should, honestly, be easy as pie. Or curry. So what’re you waiting for? Get cooking and rush in your entries to Graziana of Erbe in Cucina who’s hosting.

But first, feast on this:

Claire’s Tofu Curry

June’s Muah Chee

…and June’s Sago Gula Melaka

Meera’s Vegan Laksa

Minu’s LacyPancakes (Roti Jala)

Priya Narasimhan’s Malay-style Noodles

Priyasuresh’s Nasi Lemak (Coconut Rice)

…and Priyasuresh’s Spicy Okra Kheema

Shri’s Fried Shallots

Stephanie’s Char Kueh Teow

…and Stephanie’s Claypot Tofu Rice

Sudha’s Mee Curry

Susan’s Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce

Susana’s Mango Tofu Curry

…and Susana’s Eggplant Tofu

Sweatha’s Apam Balik

…and Sweatha’s Cucur Kodok

My Murtabak

As always, please send a heads-up if you spot any glitches, broken links, bad links and such. And, of course, let me know if I accidentally overlooked any of your entries.

Enjoy, all!

18 thoughts on “It’s A Vegan World: Malaysian. The Roundup.

Ammu's

September 15, 2009 at 7:43pm

Lovely roundup… I had tried Whole- wheat french bread.. It came out very well.. Thank you for such a nice post…

Daisy

September 15, 2009 at 9:15pm

Good Lord!
    Look at these amazing and delicious pictures! I’m mouthwatering right now :)
    Good job, Vaishali! Thank you for hosting these events and spread out the joy of cooking! :)
    Susana.

Dibs

September 16, 2009 at 12:52am

Malaysian Food is fascinating. I was browsing for deserts with sago, and chanced upon a sago gula melaka, and decided I must explore more of malaysian dishes. What a delight to find a mega collection on your site :-) Thanks for running this event!

You are right on Indian Vegan — we’ll surely take part in this one at least!!

Pavani

September 16, 2009 at 12:54am

Awesome round up as usual Vaishali. So many delicious Malaysian vegan dishes to try.

Sunila

September 16, 2009 at 1:20am

V,
    Love your blog and pretty pictures.
    Thanks for sharing all the recipes.

Dips

September 16, 2009 at 1:35am

Great collection of recipes here ! I so wanted to try this one since we love the one and only Malaysian restaurant around here and devour the ‘roti kanai’ there ! I am really surprised by all the various recipes that come forth here…great job everyone !

caribbeanvegan

September 16, 2009 at 3:05am

Hi Vaishali,
    I can definitely do the Indian meal this month. This roundup was really great. I had to admit I know nothing about Malaysian food so I was afraid. I guess I need to get over that as I am open minded and I want to learn about new foods. I now know how people feel when they face my ethnic cooking. You should really write a book at your own pace because your recipes are really good.

Pari

September 16, 2009 at 4:34am

nice round up Vaishali. As I mentioned to you earlier that I have not tried the malaysian food. Now I have a lot of things to try out. Thanks dearie.

Pavithra

September 16, 2009 at 5:22am

wow thats wonderful roundup.. i was really thinking in my mind to send some unfortunately so busy with my sons school and other stuffs..anyway thats wonderful roundup dearie.. keep up ur good work.

Miri

September 16, 2009 at 5:40am

What an amazing array of dishes! thanks for the round up!

Priya Narasimhan

September 16, 2009 at 5:53am

Great roundup Vaishali..I am also seriously thinking about turning Vegan…though it would take some time..I am still not able to come to believe that milking the cow for human needs is a cruelty to them..we are not killing them here, there is no bloodshed…

kahliyalogue

September 16, 2009 at 10:32am

Vaishali,once again Id like to applaud you in organinsing these various international events allowing us each time to explore different cultural cuisines aswell as finding creative ways to enjoy them cruel free!
    Kudos to all the participants who have made such a lovely effort to show us that these vegan versions can be so delicious!
    Wouldnt it be lovely to sum all these roundups into an international multi cultural vegan cuisine cookbook?! Just a thought.. :)Mia

Gita

September 16, 2009 at 1:32pm

Wow…thats an amazing collection of vegan dishes…great roundup Vaishali :)

Vani

September 16, 2009 at 3:17pm

So many good recipes! Nice round-up, Vaishali. Loved your murtabak.