Crescent Rolls

I dream of soft, fluffy rolls fresh from the oven that I can tear open with my fingers, watch as the smoke dissipates right before my eyes, slather with a dab of vegan butter and raspberry jelly, and then take a huge bite of…now doesn’t that sound like heaven?

And after making these crescent rolls I definitely was in heaven. Because not only are they are easy to make and impossibly elegant to look at, they are, of course, 100 percent vegan.

As flaky as these rolls are, don’t mistake them for their richer French cousins, the incredibly delicious croissants, which contain far more fat and are more puff-pastry-like in the way they’re made. These are regular rolls that shaped like crescents and they are not just great for breakfast but great at just about any time of day.
Go ahead and try them next time you have some time on your hands. And if you make them the previous day, just pop them into an oven for a few minutes to freshen them up. This recipe makes 16 and since it’s usually just Desi and I who get to eat them all, I keep them in the refrigerator for days in an airtight plastic bag.

Here’s the recipe. Enjoy, all!

Crescent Rolls

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 package)

1/4 cup warm water (not hot. You don’t want to kill the yeast)

Mix the yeast and water together in a bowl and let stand for at least five minutes until the yeast is all frothy and bubbly.

Add to this:

1 1/4 cup soymilk

5 tbsp canola or other flavorless vegetable oil

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Mix by hand or on low speed in the stand mixer for no more than a minutes. Now gradually add :

3 to 4 cups of all-purpose flour, until you have a dough that’s moist but not sticky.

Knead for 10 minutes by hand or on medium-low speed on the stand mixer until you have a dough that’s smooth and elastic.

Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, turn over once to coat the top with oil, cover with plastic wrap, and place in a warm spot until the dough has doubled, around 1 1/2 hours.

Now punch the dough down and divide into two equal parts. Shape each into a smooth ball and then roll each out to a diameter of about 10-12 inches. If the dough is too resistant, let it relax for a couple of minutes, then try again.

With a pizza cutter, cut eight wedges, as you would a pizza.

Take one wedge, brush the top with a little oil, and then, using your fingers, roll from the broader edge toward the tip, forming a crescent shape. Once you’ve formed the roll, tuck the ends downward to form the crescent.shape.

Shape all 16 wedges into crescents, placing them at least an inch or two apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Brush the tops of the rolls with some oil or with a mixture of soymilk and oil, and allow them to stand, covered loosely with a napkin, until they’ve doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Bake the rolls in a preheated 425-degree oven about 15-20 minutes or until the rolls are golden-brown.

Serve fresh or preheat in the oven if serving leftover rolls.

Enjoy!

33 thoughts on “Crescent Rolls

Jaya Wagle

December 30, 2009 at 5:20am

Vaishali, these rolls do look heavenly, especially as you said with some butter and jelly. Can I substitute regular milk instead of soy for this one?
    Also, wish you and Desi and all your lovely pets a very happy and prosperous New Year. :)

Mints!

December 30, 2009 at 7:32am

oh! I can smell the freshness of these rolls! I will be making these for saturday breakfast.

Shreya

December 30, 2009 at 9:57am

Hi Vaishali, lovely rolls..fresh, fluffy and golden brown..love them any time with butter and home made mango jam:D

Wishing you and your family a happy and prosperous New Year..

The Voracious Vegan

December 30, 2009 at 10:05am

WOW. That first picture is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen, they are like soft fluffy pillows of YUM! You are such a genius, I can’t wait to give this recipe a try.

Maya Varadan

December 30, 2009 at 2:38pm

Looks Inviting.Any idea How would it be if wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour is substituted?

December 30, 2009 at 4:03pm

Jaya, A very happy new year to you. And yes, you could certainly use milk (although you’d make me so much happier if you used soymilk!) :)

Mints, Thanks– hope you like them!

Ms. Chitchat, thanks!

Shreya, a very happy new year to you, my dear. And I’d love some mango jam now!

Voracious– you’re really kind! Thanks!

Bangalorebaker, Laavanya, Thanks!

Maya, yes, you can substitute half the all-purpose with whole-wheat pastry flour or a third with regular whole wheat. More whole-wheat flour would make the rolls too dense and pastry flour is low on gluten so the dough would be difficult to work with if you used too much of it. Does that help?

Preeti, Parita, Thanks!

Anonymous

December 30, 2009 at 5:40pm

Dear Vaishali

Thank you so much for this simple and wonderful recipe. Will try it soon.
    Wish you all a Very Happy New Year.

Priya Narasimhan

December 30, 2009 at 5:50pm

for the past few weeks i have been baking mostly your recipes and here is one more..just awesome.

Pavani

December 30, 2009 at 6:54pm

Lovely looking vegan crescents.. Will definitely give these a try soon.

December 30, 2009 at 8:09pm

Vegan crescent rolls looks fantastic..

Cham

December 30, 2009 at 10:35pm

The first pic looks fantastic and imagine how soft it is… Quiet fat free version crescent!
    Wish u a Wonderful New Year :)

Indhu

December 31, 2009 at 5:31am

you are killing me with this picture… these rolls with some butter and jam (blueberry in my case)… am in heaven :)

Mihl

December 31, 2009 at 11:04am

I could eat food like this all day long. I love the soft texture of things like crescent rolls. Thank you for the recipe and Happy New Year!

evolvingtastes

December 31, 2009 at 5:56pm

SO PERFECT, and vegan to boot! Vaishali, your veganized versions of baked goods are always so admirable.

Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

December 31, 2009 at 9:30pm

Anon., a very happy new year to you!

Priya, glad to hear that! :)

Pavani, Priya, Cham, Indhu, Mihl, Evolvingtastes: Thanks, dears, and a very happy new year to you all!

Gita

January 1, 2010 at 1:09am

Wow, your crescent rolls look so good, much better than the store-brought ones :) healthy too! Wish You a Very Happy New Year dear!!!

In

January 1, 2010 at 2:01am

Happy New Year to you and your family Vaishali! These rolls look yummy. Will have to give a try some day. Your blog is the first I check if I am in need of a recipe. Recently I baked cinnamon rolls and used your recipe. I am not very good with baking yet it turned out good. Though not a healthy snack it tasted less unhealthy than the mall ones :). Thanks!

Indhu

TBC

January 1, 2010 at 3:12am

Vaishali,
    Here’s wishing you and your family the very best in 2010. Hope you have a wonderful year!

Dips

January 1, 2010 at 6:57pm

Hey Vaishali , its been great knowing you , your family of pets and your candid thoughts on so many subjects this last year..Hope you continue to do so in the new year . All my best wishes to you and yours.

kahliyalogue

January 1, 2010 at 10:18pm

Once again you amaze me Vaishali with your innovative ideas!What lovely rolls!HAppy new year !Blessings of joy! mUch love,Mia :)

Shri

January 2, 2010 at 3:36am

Absolutely delicious!Wish you and your family a very happy new year.

January 2, 2010 at 11:58pm

Gita, a very happy new year to you!

In, Welcome and thanks for your kind words. So glad you liked the cinnamon rolls– I love those too! :) A very happy new year to you.

TBC, A very happy new year!

Dips, it’s been great knowing you too over this past year– happy new year!

Kahliyalogue, Shri: Thanks, and a very happy new year to you!

Anonymous

January 4, 2010 at 9:31pm

Hi, I tried these rolls and they were good…except they didn’t brown like your picture…my rolls were dark on the bottom and a pale brown on the top…They did taste great…Can you suggest what went wrong ?? Do I have to turn them half-way during baking ??

January 4, 2010 at 9:40pm

Anonymous, here’s my first thought: did you brush them with oil or with the oil-soymilk mixture? That makes all the difference.
    Also, sometimes the baking sheet you use can make a huge difference in the color of your finished product and the time it takes to bake. A darker cookie sheet, for instance, would result in a darker roll.
    If you find you still don’t get the desired color, try also brushing the rolls with oil once halfway through baking.

Cat - Verdant Eats

January 6, 2010 at 6:50pm

What a beautiful recipe! I can’t wait to try it for brunch this coming weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous

June 8, 2011 at 3:52am

Hi Vaishali,

I tried baking them day before yesterday, and after many failures at baking this was my first success, and I was thrilled, excited and could not stop looking at the rolls. I realized that the problem is not my old traditional oven, but the yeast quality. As you rightly said that there is nothing great than having a bite of freshly home baked rolls. Million thanks to you.

Nisha.
    God Bless.

December 15, 2011 at 7:39pm

Nisha, congratulations! Baking always takes some practice, but you are getting there. Thanks for letting me know. :)