Oh, those golden oldies…

I am back to say a quick hello and share with you a small piece of my great love: a melodious Hindi oldie.

Thanks to all those wonderful Indians who, like me, are hooked on these timeless songs from old Indian movies and who, unlike me, are proactive enough to post them on YouTube, I get to enjoy them any time I wish with a click of the keyboard. In fact, Desi and I sometimes make an evening of it watching the oldies — I can’t think of anything I love to do more.

But while revisiting those great songs– most of which I’d only heard on radio growing up– is fun, it can also sometimes be kinda anti-climactic. You’ll have always loved this song and couldn’t wait to see the video and when you do…heck, what were they thinking?

The song I wanted to share today does not suffer from that problem, though. In fact, I love the simplicity of this black-and-white video filmed in the stark stairwell of the Qutub Minar in Delhi, with a super-cute Dev Anand lip-syncing as he woos an equally cute Nutan.

But what lifts this song from beautiful to sublime, I believe, is the chocolate-silk voice of Mohammad Rafi, without a doubt the greatest singer I’ve ever heard. Rafi, one of India’s most popular playback singers from the ’50s all the way to the ’80s when he died, could turn even the most mundane lyrics into a thing of beauty. In fact, and I doubt anyone would argue this, he emoted better with his voice than many actors in Bollywood ever have with their faces.

Here it is, then, and I hope it brightens up your day, as it always does mine! Enjoy!

Comments

1. says

This is such a classic song.I am too, hooked to you tube, i’ll be catching lots of kishore-lata songs.Love the bollywood melodies.Have a nice weekend.

2. says

Hi Vaishali,
    I’ve been following your blog for a long time but have never commented- today is the day for peeping out from those shadows!
    That song was really wonderful, even though I have no idea what they are singing about :) His voice is beautiful.
    Would you care to give a really quick translation?

3. says

Definitely a classic ! And Rafi’s voice was incomparable, I cringe when I hear some of the new singers try to sing his numbers and mess it up big time…I wish they would leave those songs alone :-)

4. says

Madhu, yes, it is quite addictive, isn’t it? :)

BangaloreBaker: Absolutely– Rafi never struck a bad note, not once.

Priya, glad you liked it :)

Wantingkneading: Welcome, and thanks for peeping out from the shadows :)
    It’s a love song and I hate to translate because you know how such songs sound corny when one does, but the gist of it is that he’s complimenting her on her beauty, her general wonderfulness, and proclaiming his undying love for her! :)

Usha– so glad you said that! :) Some of those new copycats make me cringe too!

5. says

Indhu, I definitely have that in common with your sis: I am a crazy-ass fan of Rafi’s too :)

Skay, The lyrics are indeed beautiful and yes, they are by Hasrat Jaipuri. The great music is, of course, by the incomparable S.D.Burman– I can’t decide who’s the bigger genius, he or his son, R.D.

6. says

I love Old Hindi movie songs and have a playlist of oldy-goldy songs!
    Dev Anand, Ive had a HUGE crush on him since my teens and to date I maintain, He is THE HANDSOMEST guy..

Dil ka bhanvar is a beatiful song ( as are most of the songs in the movie)
    Rafi, Manna De, Talat.. sigh! Gotta love their voices.