A Song For You

So here I am on a Friday evening, just getting off work, and without a recipe to share but eager to share something with you nonetheless.

So here’s a great song to take you into the weekend. This song is probably Desi’s favorite, or at least in his top 5, and you can see why: the lyrics are gorgeous, Geeta Dutt’s voice (in playback) — almost stark naked with just a hint of music in the background– is exquisite, and the simple black-and-white video makes a perfect setting.

I’ll be back in a day or two with a recipe. Meanwhile– enjoy!

7 thoughts on “A Song For You

Jaya Wagle

January 16, 2010 at 1:07am

Lovely song Vaishali. I love her voice and her songs. I think Geeta Dutt got short changed by Guru Dutt’s infidelity and her addiction to alcohol. Otherwise, she would have been as great if not greater than Lata and Asha.

Dips

January 16, 2010 at 2:20am

Never heard this one before, but lovely !Have a nice weekend !!

Anonymous

January 16, 2010 at 3:58am

Hi Vaishali, this is my top favorite song too! In fact, there is another song sung by Manna Dey from the same movie – Phir Kahin, Koyi Phool Khila, Chaahat Na Kaho Isko..; that too is my favorite. Also Meri Jaan, Mujhe Jaan Na Kaho by Geeta Dutt again. I have the DVD of the movie and watch is whenever I want to watch this song or certain scenes from the movie. Basu Bhattacharya, the director explores marital relationships in all his movies and this movie is part of a trilogy, I have watched most of his movies. Anubhav was shot in black in white…-Shreya

January 16, 2010 at 2:17pm

Hi Jaya, I agree Geeta Dutt’s was a unique voice– and she certainly was one of the most tragic figures of her times in Indian cinema. Had she lived longer she would certainly have given Asha some serious competition.

Dips, Have a great weekend, too!

Shreya, I have seen a few Basu Bhattacharya movies although I’ve never had a chance to watch Anubhav, much as I love this song. I do remember meeting Bhattacharya at his huge Bandra flat facing the sea — I was interviewing him for a new movie he was making with Rekha and Om Puri whose name I can’t remember. Anyway, the most memorable part of that interview for me was he and his daughter arguing loudly in the next room over some guy — it was funny :)

Mints!

January 17, 2010 at 7:21pm

I love love love Geeta Dutt’s voice and this is also one of my favorite songs!

Thanks girl!

zengirl

January 22, 2010 at 3:12am

Vaishali,

I can only imagine why Desi might like this song, they do not make music, lyrics and feelings that comes with it, like it anymore! I feel like watching old movies now :-)