Pasta With Cauliflower And Chickpeas

Here’s a pasta dish so simple yet so elegant and so nutritious, you’ll want to make it every night. ‘

The beauty of this dish is that it requires just a handful of ingredients you likely already have in your pantry. If not, it’s surely worth a run to the grocery store to pick them up.

The cauliflower here — it’s one of my favorite vegetables and this turned out to be one of my favorite ways to eat it– can be substituted easily with broccoli. Try not to overcook the cauliflower or the broccoli because it wouldn’t taste so good without a bit of a snap and a crunch.

One tip on the pasta: I always specify cooking it al dente and what that means is you don’t let it turn mushy on you. Instead, it should have a slight bite. Besides the fact that mushy pasta doesn’t taste so great, there’s a good nutritional reason for not overcooking pasta. Most of you are likely aware of the term glycemic index, which is a measure of the amount of sugar released into your blood when you eat a particular food. As is obvious from that description, a healthy diet should include foods lower on the glycemic scale because, honestly, you didn’t think all that sugar in your blood was actually a sweet thing, did you?
=”separator”>

Pasta tends to be a fairly low G.I. food because of the way it is made– the starch granules in the wheat create a sponge-like network of protein molecules that breaks down slowly when you digest it. But when you overcook pasta, this structure dissolves, exposing the starch molecules and sending more glucose coursing through your arteries.

If that explanation didn’t help, just remember this:

Overcooked pasta = Bad
Al dente pasta = Sophia Loren.

And now the recipe. Enjoy, all!

Pasta with Cauliflower and Chickpeas

Ingredients:

2 cups of any uncooked small pasta like orechiette, farfalle or ziti. I used the piccolini version of penne, which are these cute, tiny versions of regular pasta shapes.

1/4 cup of olive oil

2 tsp red pepper flakes (use less if you must, but this is a very lightly flavored dish so you won’t really find this hot)

2 cups cooked chickpeas

1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets and steamed until just tender. I did this by putting it into the microwave with a couple of tablespoons of water for 10 minutes. Make sure that the pasta is as close to done as you’d like to eat it before taking it out because it won’t cook too long on the stove.

12 cloves garlic, minced (yes, again, you need them)

Salt to taste

1 cup parsley or coriander leaves (I like the more assertive flavor of coriander, but use parsley if you prefer a milder flavor)

Set the pasta to cook according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet.

Add the garlic and saute for a minute or two over medium heat until it just starts to change color.

Add the red pepper flakes, mix in, and add the cauliflower and chickpeas.

Mix everything together and now add the cooked pasta and parsley/coriander.

Stir everything well and check for salt. I always drizzle a tiny amount of extra-virgin olive oil on my plate for a delicious flavor finish.

Serve hot.=”separator”>

30 thoughts on “Pasta With Cauliflower And Chickpeas

Pavani

February 4, 2010 at 1:07am

That is such an easy preparation but packed with garlicky goodness & creamy cauliflower. I’m going to try this soon.

poornima

February 4, 2010 at 1:38am

I am a regular reader of your blog and love it. But I had a question about Ernest Hemingway’s work. Can I email you ?

Poornima

Uj

February 4, 2010 at 1:41am

It looks so simple.. I would love to make it with broccoli..

Dips

February 4, 2010 at 2:19am

Nice combi ! Looks scrumptious…I started eating cauliflower recently but Im a convert..!!

February 4, 2010 at 4:19am

Pavani, Thanks! Hope you do.

Poornima, Thanks, and yes– feel free to email at vaishalihonawar@gmail.com

Uj, It would be great with broccoli. In fact, I might try it that way too the next time :)

Dips, I am not surprised you’re a convert– I do love me some cauliflower :)

Sowmya, Thanks!

Amrita

February 4, 2010 at 5:32am

Thanks for the information on GI, Vaishali. I had first heard about GI at a conference but the info had just got muddled in my brain. Thanks for making it sound so simple. I think this is also one reason that although pasta is made of maida, it is considered healthy!

February 4, 2010 at 8:20am

Tempting pasta dish, looks fantastic with those cauliflowers and chickpeas…

Stephanie

February 4, 2010 at 12:21pm

It’s nice to have something like this, that is very healthy and delicious, but not too complicated and time consuming. Thanks for sharing. Peace, Stephanie

Shantee'

February 4, 2010 at 3:01pm

Oh, I’ll have to make this soon! This is one of those rare occasions where I think I actually have all the ingredients. I may have to sub with broccoli though. And wow, 12 cloves of garlic! Whew! Can’t wait!

Shantee'

February 4, 2010 at 3:01pm

Spice

February 4, 2010 at 4:13pm

I guess i’m first time here, nice blog…..love the pasta, your version looks good……I usually make it same minus chickpeas…

Gita

February 5, 2010 at 4:11am

I like what you have said about al-dente pasta (sophia :) Nice protein packed dish Vaishali…looks tasty :)

Sharmila

February 5, 2010 at 5:56pm

Nice idea of adding chickpeas to the pasta Vaishali! :-) Was on a break and missed out a lot of your posts … gotta go thru them. :-)

Usha

February 5, 2010 at 10:23pm

This sounds intriguing and delicious! Love the idea of flavoring this dish with cilantro…

Agnes

February 6, 2010 at 6:10pm

Thank you. A great recipe with such little work!
    Soma
    Sri Lanka

Krista

February 6, 2010 at 7:00pm

This looks delicious and easy! I love chickpeas and cauliflower, and pasta is a great way to make a big one-pot meal out of them! Beautiful pictures, yum!

Parita

February 6, 2010 at 7:08pm

Unique!! Pasta, cauliflower and chickpeas is very different combination!

Daisy

February 10, 2010 at 2:54pm

I love cauliflower and chickpeas!!!
    This is a great one! ;)

And reminds me a Portuguese winter dish made with pasta, chickpeas, green cabbage (lots of it!) and carrots, and some (mild) spices. It’s like a stew and the original recipe takes pork, the vegan version is without the meat.

Mansi

February 10, 2010 at 7:20pm

Thanks for the recipe..the use of cauliflower sounds very unique..shall try it soon.

HeidiTFM

February 11, 2010 at 8:51pm

Made this yesterday during our blizzard, and it turned out very nicely. I added a generous squeeze of lemon (instead of extra olive oil) at the end since I am watching my fat intake. I could imagine this with the addition of halved grape tomatoes and/or chopped kalamata olives.

Delicious and easy. Many thanks for sharing!

Gary

April 11, 2010 at 2:09am

Made this with broccoli. Delicious and 30 minutes from start to eating! Thanks for this great recipe.

April 12, 2010 at 1:49pm

Heidi, Gary: Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked it!

Elizabeth

October 19, 2011 at 4:14am

I made this today, and my husband and I both loved it! So delicious!