Spicy Potatoes and Methi Malai Matar: Treats From Other Blogs

I run almost every day into recipes on other blogs that I want to make, and one day this week I found two that sounded delicious and healthy and, luckily, I had on hand all the ingredients I needed to make them.

The great thing was, although I bookmarked them from two separate blogs, they sounded like they’d make a perfect meal together.

So Latha’s Spicy Potatoes and Supriya’s Methi Malai Matar it was for dinner, and they were both as delicious as they sound.

I made very few changes to the recipes– in fact, I didn’t make any to the potatoes except to add a coriander garnish in the end– I love the lemony freshness of coriander with any spicy potato dish. Latha had used fingerling potatoes but I just went with russet potatoes which I had on hand.

In case of the methi curry I did need to come up with a substitute for cream, although it was an easy choice– cashew paste. I soaked 2 tbsp of cashew nuts with 1/2 cup of water for about an hour, and then blended it to a smooth paste and added it in place of the cream in Supriya’s recipe. I’d say you can go with coconut milk too, if you’d rather, and it’d be delicious.

We scooped up all this goodness with some fluffy phulkas.

Thanks, ladies, for a lovely dinner!

***
If you read this blog, you know I love the Mahatma. A few weeks back, when I put up this cynical post, many of you wrote in to me to say that Gandhi’s ideas are not dead and that there are many around the world who are striving, against all odds, to keep them alive.

One reader, Deb, sent me a page of Gandhi’s quotations. Now I love inspiring quotes and I have read most of Gandhi’s, and looking over the ones Deb had sent I thought maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to share some of those as well as other favorites with all of you.

A lot of what Gandhi said remains so topical and so current, including his thoughts about the treatment of animals. His words offer a powerful lesson: learn from your mistakes, think about the consequences of your actions before you act, and believe in yourself when you know you are on the right path, even if the rest of the world seems to not agree with you. Eventually, they will.

So here they are, as inspiring and brilliant as they were the day he said them.

Enjoy!

“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”

“I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.”

“Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.”

and my favorite:

“We must be the change we wish to see in the world.”
And, finally, a weekend treat: pictures of my delicious Opie. As the last of the snow melts down in our area, Opie– who adores the snow– is clinging to every last bit that dots our yard and the neighbors’. Literally.

Each day, when we walk him, he will race toward any bit of snow he sees and plonk himself right over it. And then he’ll refuse to budge for the next 15 minutes at least. He doesn’t just sit there either. He rolls over on his side, slides on it, and does some really silly stuff that’s just wonderful to watch.

Funny guy.

21 thoughts on “Spicy Potatoes and Methi Malai Matar: Treats From Other Blogs

simply.food

March 7, 2010 at 9:09pm

Potatoes and the methi matter look delicious and beautifully captured on camera.

BangaloreBaker

March 8, 2010 at 2:45am

My kids love methi malai matar and I make it pretty similar, but I add cashews while grinding and not dry powder. It is mixed with sauteed onions and ground. Looks good. I love your dog. I wish I had the nerve to sit on snow like that.

Skay

March 8, 2010 at 4:01am

oh lord! the potatoes look so yummy!! Gotta check both these recipes out.

Gita

March 8, 2010 at 4:14am

Opie is so cute and adorable :) Both the dishes look delicious Vaishali…potatoes look super crispy, love your healthy version of methi malai matar with cashew paste instead of cream :)

Latha

March 8, 2010 at 5:42am

Oh Vaishali, thanks for trying out my recipe. Am so honored. Loved Gandhi’s quotes. Opie looks adorable.

Ms.Chitchat

March 8, 2010 at 6:59am

Both the dishes have come out very well. Loved the spicy potatoes in its original color and the mouth watering malai mutter.

Sharmila

March 8, 2010 at 10:25am

Both look awesome Vaishali .. honest. The potatoes look like they are waiting to be picked up. Too good … perfect combi for dinner. :-)
    Btw .. can you please tell me what can be the substitute for milk and dahi for vegans … I feel unhappy when I cannot give vegan options in my recipes. Thanks. Hugs to Opie … my fav from your brood. :-)

Supriya Nair

March 8, 2010 at 11:48am

Hey Vaishali…beautifully captured recipes…luv the clicks…and I was drooling…hey the cashew paste is a great option…and luved the idea of adding coconut milk as well..will try this one definitely…thanks for trying this one!

Nupur

March 8, 2010 at 12:33pm

Those potato wedges look ridiculously good.

Opie seems to be the one creature in the NE that does not mind all the snow you are getting :)

Stephanie

March 8, 2010 at 12:59pm

Sounds like a wonderful dinner. Thanks for the pictures of Opie. Peace, Stephanie

The Voracious Vegan

March 8, 2010 at 2:46pm

Those potatoes are PHENOMENAL! I just finished dinner but you’ve got me drooling like mad. I will be making these for sure!

March 8, 2010 at 2:53pm

SimplyFood, Rachana, Thanks!

Bangalorebaker, your version sounds really good too. Will be sure to try it.

Skay, Gita, Thanks!

Latha, Thank YOU for a delicious recipe :)

Chitchat, Sowmya: Thanks!

Sharmila: Milk and yogurt are quite easy to substitute, especially in cooked dishes. Soymilk or almond milk make a great alternative to milk. And I often substitute with silken tofu for yogurt: in raitas, for instance, I’d blend some tofu with some lemon juice, salt and some toasted cumin powder and use it in place of yogurt. In biryanis etc, I just replace yogurt with blended tofu. :)

Supriya, many thanks to you for your yummy recipe :)

Nupur, he certainly doesn’t mind it– if he could have his way, we’d be living in the Himalayas :)

Stephanie, Thanks!

Shantee'

March 8, 2010 at 2:59pm

Awww, I love the Opie in the snow pics. Too cute! He looks very much like “I’m not going to budge and you can’t make me!”

Shantee'

March 8, 2010 at 2:59pm

zengirl

March 8, 2010 at 9:30pm

Vaishali,

I like the way, you mix the recipe, personal tidbits and also something nice to read, such as Gandhiji’s quotes, Opie’s cute pictures and wonderful recipe with yummy visions. I am impressed! btw I made cauliflower subji from your last post, it turned out very good and Zenguy loved it too :-) Thanks.

Anonymous

March 10, 2010 at 12:25am

Wow the potato looks yummy!Lovely clicks :)

Opie is soooo cute and adorable :)

Anuu :)