Here’s Lucy!

Sorry about the long silence, but things have just been too hectic to take some time off and write. I did want to give you a quick update on Lucy, though, because so many of you have been asking about her.

Lucy came home Saturday morning from the hospital. She walked out on a leash, her tail all a-wag the moment she saw us. The hospital worker couldn’t keep up with her! We were happily surprised because just the previous night, when we’d visited her, she’d looked miserable with red-rimmed eyes. She seemed to be in a lot of pain, which was only natural considering she’d just had a leg removed. When Desi put an arm around her she lay down and actually wailed. It was heartbreaking.

But this time she seemed to know she was going home. The fact that one of her legs was missing seemed not to make a whit of a difference. She hopped into the backseat of the car, and gave us long kisses– something she’s usually too shy to do, but then she wanted to let us know she was happy.

Of course, there’s a lot of work ahead. Lucy’s body still has to heal. She is also learning to get around with three legs, but right now she tires easily because the back leg is still not used to doing the work of two. Occasionally, though not often, she’ll lose her balance and stumble. The doctor tells us this will improve with time.

She is also wearing one of those miserable cone collars around her neck a lot of the time to keep her from licking her surgery wounds. We are also still waiting for further results from the amputated limb, which will determine the course of her treatment.

I wanted to say thanks to all of you well-wishers who’ve sent in your thoughts, your prayers and more for Lucy. The one hot Nupur and her dashing Dale sent Lucy some lovely homemade treats, which came just in time for us to bring to the hospital when we visited her Saturday. She adored them. I didn’t even have time to get a picture before they were gone, with enthusiastic help from Opie and Freddie, of course. :). Thanks, Nupur!

And thanks, all, for being there!=”separator”>

Comments

1. says

I haven’t been able to catch up and found from your archives about Lucy. So glad she is back with you. Don’t worry, I am sure she is going to be bouncing back again esp. since she is such a loving, optimistic girl!

2. Cperry says

Your post (and especially the picture) made me smile! I’m so glad to see this update and will continue sending best thoughts your way.

3. says

So very, very glad for this post! Get well soon Lucy! You will! Vaishali, do consider Reiki, animals respond wonderfully to the soothing and healing Reiki energies.

4. says

Wonderful news to hear Lucy came out of the surgical procedure with great success. She is a trooper. Wish your family and her all the best for the journey to full recovery. Have you seen the prosthetic they have for dogs who have lost their limbs? It attaches to the body and has wheels so the dog can walk and does not have to hop around. Wishing Lucy a speedy recovery.

5. says

Oh Vaishali, very glad that Lucy is home and getting better..god bless her and your family..she is very lucky that she’s got you!!!

take care!!

6. Anonymous says

She looks achy, but totally “smoochable.”

Will Lucy be getting “wheelies” or does the leg compensate for the other one. How does that aspect work?

Wishes for a speedy recovery (and OUT with the plastic collar…those ARE a nightmare for dogs). Sarita

7. says

Amazing news! I’m so glad that, this 1st recovery phase, worked out well, and Lucy missed you for sure, but now she’s back home deeply happy to be with you guys again! (I could picture her giving you tons of kisses :) ).
    I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the test results and the next step of the treatment. She’s a big girl!

Sending all my support for you 3.
    With Love, Susana M.

8. says

I am so glad Lucy is home with u! She is a strong girl and will be well soon, specially with loving parents like u both!
    muuuuuaaaaaahhhh Lucy baby! love u!

9. says

so glad to hear that Lucy is now home. see how she loves you so much even without one of her legs, she wanted you to know how happy she is with all her kisses. she will heal up and be good as new soon. just give her all the love i’m sure you are doing.

10. says

So glad to hear that she is back with you. I had not read the earlier post but found it. Strong girl and she is going to be herself soon.

11. sainila says

Did not read the earlier post on Lucy. My sincere prayers for her and to give you and your husband the strength you need. I had a pet myself as a kid and I can understand how it feels. So glad she is back home under your care. You are so wonderful and I am sure Lucy will be back to her own self with your love.

12. says

so sorry to hear about lucy. i grew up with two “babies” at home (my mom refused to call them dogs!), and the loss of our first is still in our hearts. So I can completely relate to your love for Lucy! Good luck with the healing process and getting her back to her usual.

13. says

Hi Vaishali, sorry to hear about Lucy! Wishing Lucy a speedy recovery. Best wishes to you and Desi. God Bles..

I’ve been away a while. My baby boy was born April 13th. We are both doing well.

14. says

I love running into more of my kind (food and dog obsessed) :)

Really glad Lucy is doing well. Dogs are amazingly resilient, they seem to exist in this state of infectious bliss, totally unaware of what may be ailing them :)

I saw your earlier post where someone had commented about being too dog-obsessed. I’ve heard that too. Especially when I was blogging endlessly about Vodka’s treatment (he has mast cell tumors) and basically the rest of life went on hold to take care of him. The way I look at it, a dog’s life revolves around his/her people 100%, it may not be so bad for us to attempt to strive for a shadow of that.

Good luck with everything, give Lucy extra hugs from me!