Bean and Oats Dosa

Vegan recipe for Lima Bean and Oats dosa

Making dosas healthier or tastier is a bit like trying to gild a lily. Dosas are traditionally made with rice and lentils which are both terrifically healthy foods packed with fiber and protein, and you can just make a traditional dosa recipe healthier by making it with brown rice, as I usually do.

But sometimes the health nut in you just wants to push the limits.

Last week I soaked a cup of tiny white baby lima beans in water, planning to cook them into a curry some time during the week. But one day passed, then two, and I hadn’t come up with the inspiration I needed to use them up.

Bean and Oats Dosa

Meanwhile, I’d started to crave dosas and as I drove home from work the other evening and made a mental note to soak rice and lentils overnight, I remembered those beans. Why not, I thought?

But I’d still have to soak the rice, and even soaked in my parboiled style the rice needs at least two hours’ time. But oats, of course, need no soaking time, and I love their fresh, clean taste in just about anything. So why not dosas?

Bean and Oats Dosas it was for dinner, and delicious they were. I made them prettier and tastier by adding a handful of chopped coriander leaves, some curry leaves, and some green chillies, all of which gave them that lovely emerald hue. We polished them off my favorite way: with some green coriander-coconut chutney (although Desi prefers sambar with his dosa. Well, sometimes I get to do things my way.)

Here’s the recipe. Hope everyone’s having a great weekend!

Vegan Lima Bean and Oats dosa

Baby Lima Beans and Oats Dosa

Ingredients:

1 cup baby lima beans (cover with about 3 inches with water and soak at least overnight)

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves

2 green chillies, chopped

10-12 curry leaves

1/2-inch piece of ginger, chopped

Salt to taste

Put all the ingredients in a blender or a dosa grinder and blend with enough water till you have a runny and smooth batter. The batter should be runnier than a pancake batter, but thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Heat a cast-iron or non-stick griddle.

Using a rounded ladle, pour about 1/4 cup of the dosa batter in the center of the griddle. Quickly, using the rounded bottom of the ladle, start spreading the batter outward from the center in a spiralling design, until you have a dosa about 6-7 inches in diameter.

You can pour a few drops of oil around the dosa’s edge to make it crispier, or just spray with some non-stick cooking spray.

When the underside is golden-brown, flip over and cook another minute or two.

Serve hot with chutney.

24 thoughts on “Bean and Oats Dosa

Ambika

April 9, 2011 at 5:45pm

Wow, that is such a super recipe!! Love the green hue on the dosas! Have a great weekend :)

Mahimaa's kitchen

April 9, 2011 at 5:47pm

how did you get crispy dosa without adding rice? looks so good. would definitely like to try.

harini-jaya

April 9, 2011 at 9:42pm

Love this version..I tried mixed lentils, just oats dosa also..love these healthy version!

divya

April 9, 2011 at 9:46pm

I am hungry now looking at your dish..looks yummy and crispy!

April 9, 2011 at 11:12pm

Amritha, Ambika, Thanks!

Mahimaa, I make them really paper-thin because that’s how Desi and I like dosas. That also helps make them crispy.

Harini-Jaya, Divya, Thanks!

April 9, 2011 at 11:53pm

Thats soo crispy and great looking dosas, can have two more if u send me some crispy beauties..

Pavani

April 10, 2011 at 12:58am

Lima beans and oats is an interesting combination for dosas. They look crispy and delicious.

Mihika

April 11, 2011 at 12:43am

This looks delicious! My mum went through this phase a year or so ago where she made dosas EVERY SINGLE DAY. Haven’t looked at once since.

This recipe may have just convinced me to ;)

This is my first comment on your blog, but I’ve been reading it for ages! I just started blogging myself :)

My next mission is to try that vegan curd-rice recipe you posted; I used to love curd-rice and pickle before I went vegan!

Sasha

April 11, 2011 at 8:13am

The dosas look yum! Thanks!

Two clarifications:
    1. Did you measure the dry beans as one cup or was it after soaking?

2. Did you cook the beans before adding to the batter? (I presume not since they’ll be cooked in the dosa anyway but I had to ask!)

April 11, 2011 at 1:22pm

Priya, you are welcome to come home and have them any time :)

Pavani, Anthony, Thanks!

Mihika, I can understand– I go through dosa phases too, although mine have never lasted a year :). Curd-rice is usually the last barrier between a vegetarian Indian and veganism– I think you’ll really like the vegan version. Lots of luck with your blog!

Sasha, the measure is for dry beans before soaking. And the beans do not need to be cooked, because they are quite tender after the soaking and they get cooked when you make the dosa.

Maya

April 11, 2011 at 2:50pm

Hi Vaishali… your dosas look yum and super crispy. I’m itching to try them out. I live in Mumbai though, so can you recommend a local substitute for baby lima beans?

Fifi

April 11, 2011 at 4:37pm

Vaishali, do you think I will be able to substitute edamame for the lima beans? I have some that need using up?

April 11, 2011 at 4:47pm

Maya, you could try black-eyed peas (chawli).

Fifi, Edamame could work, although I presume you are talking about the fresh/frozen edamame as opposed to dry soybeans? I wonder if the water content could be too high — I’d recommend adding water very slowly, and testing out the recipe with a small amount of ingredients first.

Swati Sapna

April 11, 2011 at 7:20pm

Lima beans and oats in dosa??! You had me at the very title of the post :D very intriguing, and looks like it was very satisfying too :)
    Am already racking my brains on what to substitute the lima beans with… green moong maybe? Though that might make it a Cheela instead of a Dosa!

Becky

April 11, 2011 at 10:38pm

This looked delicious so I made it last night! Only problem was, when I tried to flip them, they fell apart… I had to make them small and thicker, and didn’t get that crispy thin texture I wanted… any suggestions?

Thanks! Otherwise flavor was great!

April 12, 2011 at 3:07am

Hi Becky, thanks for the feedback. You probably needed more water in there, so the batter can be spread thin. You want a batter that’s far runnier than a pancake batter and once the batter is on the griddle (which should be hot enough that water you sprinkle on it sizzles rightaway and quickly evaporates) you have to work really fast to spread it before it starts to dry on the griddle. On the other hand, if the griddle is too hot, the dosa won’t be easy to spread because it will start cooking before you can manipulate it.

Zengirl @ Heart and Mind

April 12, 2011 at 3:46am

Vaishali,

I one made dosa out of Black eyed Pea and since then I am trying out new thing and after reading here, I am going to try making dosa with Oats too! Thanks for giving creative ideas in vegan eating!

Preeti

Fifi

April 12, 2011 at 6:18pm

Hi Vaishali,

Yes, I meant fresh boiled edamame. I did make the batter with the edamame, oats, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves. You are right in that the edamame had a lot of water content so I had to make the batter quite thin. In the end it was like a thin pancake not the thicker American pancake and it did take a while to cook because even though I was spreading (or rather twirling via a the pan) very thin, the batter was very soft and it required a longer cooking time so it was more pancake and less dosa/adai like but nevertheless nutritious and delicious. I ate it with some cilantro/mint chutney – yum.

Thanks for the recipe idea.

Manasi

April 12, 2011 at 6:42pm

Lima beans and oats! Who’d’ve thunk!
    love it and they are so super thin and look super crisp too. We love crisp dosas at home, must try. Any other type of beans ? Black eyed or garbanzo?

Exam Result 2011

April 13, 2011 at 11:51am

wow fantastic this post for food. It looks so delicious. interesting details shared in the post and i just try make this food. thanks for nice posting

Carol Perryman

April 13, 2011 at 8:18pm

We made these the other night with some bindi masala – they are low enough in calories that it felt very indulgent to have 3! Our batter was too thick, so next time we’ll add more water. Otherwise, these have great, earthy flavor and are a perfect counter to the spicy masala. We also found that they heat up well the next day. Thanks, Vaishy!

Anonymous

October 27, 2012 at 10:55pm

When the proportion of beans and dals increases it ceases to be a dosai and becomes an adai. Then the batter becomes a little thick and coarse. Ada is a little thicker and coarser and needs to be cooked longer on lower heat. Healthy too. In indian conditions I prefer to use barley as it is as good as oats; is a local grain and in most parts of India about half the price. It is necessary to popularize adai which is a superior food to dosai with more fibre and protein. It is also easier to add vegetable to it too! We have been experimenting with various grains, beans and dals(with and without skin) for over 14 years, to help reverse heart disease, diabetes and hypertension; quite successfully too!