Given how much Desi and I love our veggies, I never miss an opportunity to use them in almost everything I cook. I fold them into parathas, add them to curries, stir them into pilafs, and they never– ever– let my tastebuds down, adding a nutritious and delicious wallop to just about everything.
The Cabbage Rice I have for you today is a wonderful recipe to spice up plain old rice on a weekday with minimum effort. All the labor needed here is to shred the cabbage, and even that can be done in a jiffy if you happen to have a handy food processor around. The only spices used are ones you likely already have on your spice rack– garam masala, turmeric, and chilli powder.
Most of the cabbage rice recipes I’ve come across usually cook the rice and cabbage separately and then mix them up, but honestly, who wants to be bothered with all the extra time that takes, not to mention the extra pots and pans? My cabbage rice is a one-pot meal and what’s better, the rice and cabbage cook together in the same time to melting, delicious tenderness. All you need is a little tofu yogurt, a crispy, crackling papad, and some mango pickle, and you’re set for bliss.
- 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice , like basmati
- 1 large onion , thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes , finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- A 1-inch knob of ginger , grated to a paste
- 2 tsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 to 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and saute them until they turn transparent.
- Add the ginger and curry leaves and stir, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and the spice powders. Mix well and allow it to cook until the oil starts to separate.
- Add the cabbage and saute until the cabbage starts to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well to mix for about 2 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer, place a tight lid over the saucepan, and allow the rice to cook, undisturbed, for 15 minutes.
- Let the rice stand at least 15 minutes without removing the lid after you turn off the heat.
- Garnish with some shredded coconut and coriander leaves, if desired, and spritz a little lemon juice.
Try more great veggie-rice combinations with my: