Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Main
- 1½ cups quinoa, thoroughly rinsed in a strainer, under running water
- 2¼ cup water
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 10-12 cashews, chopped into pieces
- 20 peanuts
- 1 tbsp chana dal (bengal gram dal)
- 1 tbsp udad dal (black gram dal)
- A generous pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, slit through the middle
- 1 tsp vegetable oil, like canola
- Salt to taste
- Place the quinoa and water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until most of the water is absorbed. Then slap on a lid, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook another 15 minutes.
- In a larger saucepan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and asafetida. When they sputter, add the curry leaves, the dals, the nuts, and the green chilies.
- Stir-fry until the nuts and dals are lightly golden-brown-- don't burn or they'll get hard and unpleasant.
- Add the coconut and quickly stir-fry until it takes on a golden hue. You don't want to leave the coconut unattended because it will burn fast.
- Add the quinoa and salt to taste. Mix thoroughly. Garnish with some coriander leaves, if desired.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/coconut-quinoa/