Spicy Braised Sweet Potatoes
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- 2 very large sweet potatoes (or 4 small ones). Peel and cube the potatoes in ¾-inch cubes. Set aside.
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly across
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp cayenne
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat the oil and add the onions with a pinch of salt. Saute until they turn translucent, about five minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cayenne. Cook, stirring, for about a minute or two until the tomato paste darkens.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and toss well to coat with the spices. Add the white wine, enough water to cover the potatoes about halfway (I needed just over a cup), and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to a simmer, slap on a lid, and cook for about 40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are really tender.
- Add more salt if needed. Serve hot
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2011/04/spicy-braised-sweet-potatoes.html