Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- 1 cup toovar dal, cover with water, add ½ tsp turmeric, and cook until the lentils are quite mushy
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tsp vegetable oil, like canola
- A generous pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 tbsp coconut shreds (optional)
- 10 curry leaves (optional)
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds and asafetida. When the seeds sputter, add the curry leaves and red chillies. Stir fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the cooked dal and enough water to get a fairly watery consistency. A dalitoy is typically quite thin, although you could make it thicker if you prefer it.
- Bring the dal to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut shreds and salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat. Garnish with some fresh coriander, if you like.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2011/04/dalitoy.html