Bean and Oats Burgers
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Burger
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp tamari (can use soy sauce instead, but tamari is usually low sodium)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ cups quick-cooking oats (I had regular rolled oats which I ran in the food processor for a minute)
- ½ cup dry pinto beans
- ½ cup dry red or black beans
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- Soak for a few hours and then cook the pinto and red beans until tender.
- Heat a skillet and saute the onion and garlic with a tiny bit of salt for a few minutes until translucent but not brown.
- Add the carrot, chili powder, and cumin and cook a couple minutes or until carrot is tender. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Mash the beans in a large bowl. Add the carrot mixture, mustard, ketchup, tamari and oats.
- Mix well and then shape the mixture into eight patties.
- Heat a nonstick or cast-iron skillet and coat with cooking spray.
- Cook patties over medium heat for four to five minutes on each side, or until golden brown. I like mine a little charred for extra flavor.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2011/03/bean-and-oats-burgers.html