Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Entree
- 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1½ cups long-grain rice, like basmati
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- A 1-inch knob of ginger, grated to a paste
- 2 tsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and saute them until they turn transparent.
- Add the ginger and curry leaves and stir, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and the spice powders. Mix well and allow it to cook until the oil starts to separate.
- Add the cabbage and saute until the cabbage starts to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well to mix for about 2 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer, place a tight lid over the saucepan, and allow the rice to cook, undisturbed, for 15 minutes.
- Let the rice stand at least 15 minutes without removing the lid after you turn off the heat.
- Garnish with some shredded coconut and coriander leaves, if desired, and spritz a little lemon juice.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/cabbage-rice/