Double Chocolate Berry Muffins
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup nondairy milk, like soy or almond
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal mixed with 3 tbsp water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup turbinado (or other) sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries and blackberries (you can also use one or the other), chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the chopped berries and sugar and mash them together.
- Add the flaxmeal mixture, oil, vanilla, and nondairy milk to the mashed berries and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients along with the chocolate chips and blueberries. Stir together until everything is just mixed and you don't see any streaks of dry flour. Don't overmix.
- Divide the batter equally between 12 muffin tins.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree Fahrenheit for 15 minutes or until a toothpaste inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove to a rack, cool for 10 minutes, and when the muffins have cooled enough to handle remove them from the muffin tin and continue cooling on the rack.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2013/08/double-chocolate-berry-muffins.html