African Sweet Potato-Peanut Stew
Author: Holy Cow!
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans or chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender. Alternatively use 1 can of chickpeas
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh herbs. I used mint, sage and marjoram, but you can go with cilantro or even basil would be great.
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp curry powder (I used some Rajma masala I had on hand, but any curry powder would do for this)
- Heat the soy sauce and water in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and sweet potatoes, mix well, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are softened.
- Add the carrots and bell pepper and cook another three to five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, beans with any liquid, herbs, peanut butter and curry powder.
- Stir to mix, bring it to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Sprinkle more fresh herbs on top, and serve hot over brown rice.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2010/07/african-sweet-potato-peanut-stew.html