Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into 1-inch bits
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped into 1-inch bits
- 6 button mushrooms, halved or quartered if very large (optional)
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled or unpeeled, cut into half if large
- 1-inch know of ginger, cut into strips
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 allspice corns, crushed slightly
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 10-12 cups of water
- 2 sprigs rosemary (1 tsp if using dried rosemary). Other savory herbs are fine too, like thyme or sage. Herbs like mint, coriander and parsley are not great in stocks.
- Heat the oil in a stock pot. Add the onions and salt and saute over medium-high until the onions start to turn golden-brown at the edges.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another minute. Add the rosemary, bay leaf, all-spice, peppercorns, carrots, celery and mushrooms and saute, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the water-- the less water you add, the more flavor your stock will have. I prefer adding about 12 cups, but you could add less.
- Bring the stock to a boil. Cover with a lid, lower the heat to a simmer, and let the stock cook, undisturbed, for an hour.
- Turn off the heat. Let the stock stand until cool and then strain through a fine-meshed sieve or a sieve covered with cheesecloth. Press down on the vegetables to release any liquid in them.
- Voila! Your stock is ready. Refrigerate and use as needed.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/vegetable-stock/