Black-Eyed Peas Slow Cooker Stew
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Main
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut in a ½-inch dice or thinly sliced in rounds
- 3 celery stalks, cut in a ½-inch dice
- 1 large bell pepper, cut in a ½-inch dice. I used green but you can use any color.
- 1 sweet potato, cut in a ½-inch dice (optional but very tasty)
- 3 cups black eyed peas (if using frozen, like I did, you can use these without any prep. If using dried, use 1 cup dried peas and soak overnight or at least 8 hours, then drain and rinse)
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried, crumbled sage
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, finely minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnish
- Place all the ingredients in a crockpot, add the stock and mix well.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on a high setting for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours or until all the vegetables and black-eyed peas are tender.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with brown rice, quinoa, or crusty whole wheat bread.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2014/01/crockpot-black-eyed-peas-stew.html