Coconut Muffins With An Orange Glaze
Author: Holy Cow!
Recipe type: Breakfast/Muffins
Serves: Makes 12 muffins
- FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup durum whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp egg replacer powder
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup agave nectar (use maple syrup or regular sugar if you don’t have this)
- Zest of 1 orange (set aside 2 tsp or so for the orange glaze)
- ¼ cup canola or other flavorless vegetable oil (the original recipe recommends safflower)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- TO MAKE MUFFINS:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, egg replace powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the egg replacer with the orange juice. Add the agave nectar, orange zest, oil and water
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until they are just combined. Do not overmix. Add the coconut and mix in.
- Greas a 12-cup muffin tin and divide the batter equally between the cups.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Place on a rack to cool. Unmold after 10 minutes and continue to cool the muffins.
- TO MAKE GLAZE:
- Heat the orange juice in a small saucepan until it begins to boil.
- Add the powdered sugar and zest and turn off the heat. Whisk together well.
- Pour over the cooled or barely-warm muffins.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2010/02/coconut-muffins-with-orange-glaze.html