Pasta with Greens and Lima Beans
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Pasta
- 8 ounces of orzo pasta (feel free to substitute another pasta, like bow ties or spaghetti. You can use gluten-free pasta to make the recipe gluten-free)
- 2 cups of frozen lima beans. Place in a microwave-safe bowl and zap for 6 minutes. Set aside.
- 1 big bunch of Yu Choy greens, chopped. Use spinach or kale as a substitute.
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 heaping tbsp capers
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted in the microwave for two minutes, then chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Cook the pasta per package directions until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a saucepan, add the olive oil and garlic and heat them together, allowing the garlic flavor to infuse the oil.
- As the garlic starts to turn color and becomes lightly blonde, add the red pepper flakes and ground black pepper.
- Stir for a few seconds, then add the chopped Yu Choy greens and salt to taste. Stir thoroughly. Don't be alarmed if the greens look like a lot-- they will wilt down quite a bit.
- Cover the saucepan and let the greens cook about five minutes until they have wilted and cooked down. Add the lima beans and stir well to mix.
- Add the zest, capers, lemon juice, walnuts and parsley. Now add the cooked pasta and stir everything together.Check salt and add more if needed.
- You can eat as is, or drizzle some more extra virgin olive oil before serving, if you don't mind the extra calories (hey, EVOO is good for you). It's delicious either way.
Calories: 289 Fiber: 6.4 grams Protein: 11.8 grams
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/pasta-greens-beans/