Moroccan Veggie Burger
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Main
- For the burger patty:
- 2 cups canned or cooked chickpeas, drained of all liquid and rinsed
- ⅓ cup bulgur (cracked wheat).
- ¼ cup chickpea flour (besan or garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 tsp allspice powder (use a combination of cloves and cinnamon if you don't have this)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- To build the burger:
- 6 whole-wheat burger buns
- Tomato, onions, greens to top the burger
- Vegan mayonnaise, mixed, if you like, with some Harissa paste or adobo sauce
- Cook the bulgur by placing it in a saucepan with salt to taste and ⅔rd of a cup of water, bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, slap on a lid, and let the bulgur cook 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash with a heavy ladle or potato masher. Leave some larger pieces in for some texture.
- Add all of the other ingredients for making the burger patty, including the bulgur, and mix them well. You should have a mixture that holds together when you press it into a patty.
- Make six patties, each about 2½ to 3 inches in diameter.
- Spray a nonstick griddle or cast-iron skillet with oil. Cook each patty for about 3 minutes on each side over medium-high heat or until charred and golden-brown.
- To build your burger, cut each hamburger bun along the middle, and then slather on some vegan mayonnaise. Add greens, an onion ring, top with the burger and more veggies if desired, and serve.
Calories: 191 Fiber: 8.7 grams Protein: 7.5 grams Cholesterol: 0
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/moroccan-chickpea-burger/