Bell Peppers Stuffed With Brown Rice
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Main
- 3 large bell peppers, tops sliced off and then seeded. Reserve the peppers whole and finely dice the tops that you cut off.
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, mixed with ½ tsp oil and 1 tbsp shiro miso (white miso)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium potato, finely diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup peanuts
- 2 tsp udad dal (black gram dal)
- ¾ cup brown rice, cooked until tender but chewy
- 1½ tbsp canola oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ to 1 tsp cayenne or other fairly hot red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and add the mustard seeds. When the crackle, add the udad dal and peanuts. Stir until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the onions and potatoes. Saute until the potatoes become quite tender, about 5 minutes. Add the turmeric, chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Add the chopped portion of the bell peppers and stir in. Cook, stirring, another 3-4 minutes. Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Turn off heat and stir in the chopped coriander.
- Now stuff each of the three bell peppers with the brown rice all the way to the top.
- Top each pepper with the breadcrumb-miso mixture.
- Oil an oven-safe bowl in which you can accommodate all three peppers standing up. Place the bell peppers in it.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumb topping is golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Holy Cow! at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/10/peppers-stuffed-with-rice.html