Healthy Chia Waffles
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup spelt flour
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal
- 2 cups almond milk or any non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Mix the almond milk and the vinegar and set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, mix the whole wheat and spelt flours with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- To the almond milk, add the chia seeds and flaxmeal. Whisk together.
- Add the almond milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until everything's just moistened. If the mixture is too dry, add a little more almond milk.
- Cook in a waffle iron, per instructions. I have a Belgian waffle maker that makes six thick waffles per recipe, but if you have a regular waffle maker you would get 8-10 of these.
- Serve with any syrup of your choice. We love them with pure maple syrup.
Serving size: 2 waffles Calories: 248 Sugar: 6.4 grams Fiber: 8.1 grams Protein: 8 grams
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2014/03/chia-waffles.html