Fried Green Tomatoes
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- 2 large green tomatoes, cut into ½-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle the tomato slices with salt and ground black pepper and set aside.
- ½ cup soymilk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal whisked with 4 tbsp of cold water. If the mixture is still too thick and gummy, add some more water for an egg-like consistency.
- ½ cup cornmeal
- Place the soymilk, flour, flax mixture and cornmeal each in four separate containers, deep and wide enough to submerge the tomato slices.
- Heat 2 tbsp of canola or other vegetable oil in a cast-iron or non-stick skillet.
- Dredge each slice of tomato in the soymilk, then the flour, then the flax and finally the cornmeal, and place into the hot skillet.
- Fry on each side about 2 minutes over medium-high heat or until golden brown.
- Remove to a dish lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil, and sprinkle with some more salt and pepper when hot, if desired.
- I had a little extra batter left over and I also fried up a few slices of zucchini. Yum.
- You might want to try making bhujias or pakoras with green tomatoes too. Follow
- this recipe for the batter, dip the green tomatoes in it, and deep fry.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/08/fried-green-tomatoes.html