Cauliflower Wild Rice Pilaf
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Main
- For pilaf:
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup puy lentils
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp cayenne or paprika, for less heat
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- For roasted cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower, florets separated
- ½ tsp cayenne or paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix all of the roasted cauliflower ingredients together in a baking dish. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and roast for 45 minutes or until tender but slightly al dente.
- To make the pilaf, heat the oil in a large pot and add the onions. Add salt, ground black pepper and sugar and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions soften and then turn golden-brown.
- Add the garlic, cayenne, ground cumin and salt and saute for a minute.
- Add the wild rice and puy lentils and mix thoroughly.
- Add the vegetable stock or water, bring it to a boil, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, lower the heat to simmer and let it cook for an hour.
- When the rice is done, open the pot, fluff the rice and lentils gently with a fork, and mix in the roasted cauliflower and lemon juice.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Calories: 221 Fat: 4.2 grams Sugar: 2 grams Fiber: 15.9 Protein: 14.6
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2014/03/cauliflower-wild-rice-pilaf.html