Vegan Chocolate Bread
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Desert
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsweeetened chocolate chips
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) vegan "butter" like Earth Balance
- 2 tbsp flaxmeal mixed with 6 tbsp water
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- Place the chocolate chips and the "butter" in a small saucepan and heat together on low heat until the chocolate has melted. Stir and set it aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a larger bowl, mix the sugar, flaxmeal-water mixture, vanilla extract, and almond milk.
- Add the flour to the liquid mixture in three batches, using a spatula to mix the ingredients well after each addition.
- Add the chocolate and walnuts and mix.
- Oil and flour two 9 X 5 inch loaf pans. Divide the batter equally among the two and smooth the tops.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for five minutes on a rack and then unmold and continue cooling.
- Serve on its own, with a dollop of vegan whipped cream, or with a smidge of vegan butter.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2013/05/vegan-chocolate-bread.html