Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Squares with Peanut Butter Glaze
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Breakfast
- For the squares:
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato, well mashed (about 1 small sweet potato)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups non-dairy milk (I used soy. Almond milk would be great too)
- 2 tsp chai spices (I used a combination of cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom and nutmeg. You can go with just cinnamon if you'd rather)
- For the peanut butter glaze:
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ¼ cup water
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 6 tsp powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the applesauce, oil, sugar, vanilla extract, sweet potato and non-dairy milk until well mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until you have a smooth batter.
- Grease a 9-inch square cake pan or, for easier removal, line the bottom of the pan with parchment or foil and oil the surface.
- Pour the batter into the pan and with a spatula or ladle spread evenly and smooth out the top.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake in the oven 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the peanut butter, water, vanilla and powdered sugar until you have a smooth mixture.
- Let the muffin "cake" cool for 10 minutes. Unmold the cake, place on a rack, then pour the glaze over with a spoon, ensuring you spread it evenly.
- Cool thoroughly before serving.
Calories: 139 Fat: 6.1 grams Sugar: 4.2 grams Fiber: 2.4 grams Protein: 3.4 grams
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2014/04/sweet-potato-muffin-squares.html