Spicy Urad Dal
Author: Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes
Recipe type: Side
- 1 cup urad dal (black gram dal)
- 3 tomatoes, pureed (I used fresh tomatoes because they're abundantly available in the market right now, but you can use 1½ cup of canned tomatoes)
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp vegan "butter," like Earth Balance
- 1 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- Cook or pressure-cook the dal along with the ginger, red chilli powder, turmeric and some salt until tender and mushy.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or saucepan.
- Add the garlic and stir quickly for about a minute. Add the tomatoes and cook until they express the oil.
- Add the cooked urad dal and garam masala powder and stir together. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- If the dal is too thick, add some water.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes on medium-low heat.
- At the very end, add the 2 tbsp of vegan butter. Stir in. Turn off heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
Recipe by Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes at http://holycowvegan.net/2009/07/spicy-urad-dal.html